coastalgardener
Newly Registered

white sprouts

I have white sprouts growing on the stalks of my tomato plants. Does anyone know what this is, and how to treat?

thank you in advance....

MaggieMD

Not sure if this is it, but acording to our extension service web site, these might be "adventitious roots". Here is what it says about them:

"Tomato plants, particularly heirloom varieties, and tomatillos may produce small growths with short, fleshy, bristles. These are adventitious roots or aerial roots which would grow into normal roots if placed in contact with the soil. The degree to which a gardener will see this is determined by cultivar, weather conditions and culture."

If you go to their web page, click on plant diagnosics, vegtables, stems, you can see a picture or two and see if that's what you have.
https://plantdiagnostics.umd.edu/level3.cfm
good luck :D

coastalgardener
Newly Registered

thanks!

Yes, I think that it is just the roots spreading, especially since I overplanted my tomatoes. I had no idea they'd get so big!

Thanks for your reply,
Lisa

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, tomatoe plants can grow up to 9 feet tall; if not taller. Be sure to sucker your plants as they grow and you may wish to pick off these little roots as well.

Also, as you can see; tomatoes often outgrow tomatoe cages so, what works best is to use a cedar stake and old nylons to tie them to the stakes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”