sunflower13

Butternut Squash Bush - How does it Hold Up to 1st Frost?

I am growing the butternut squash bush variety. I have never grown one before. Even though it is supposed to be a 75 day, it took forever to finally produce a squash and has one growing. How does the fruit hold up to first frost? Is it like pumpkins or should I pull the fruit if frost is forecasted? I think it should be done growing soon because according to the packet the fruits only get to 1 1/2 pounds and we shouldn't have our first frost until end of Sept. beginning of Oct. but just in case I thought I would ask. Also, I've read that you can ripen them off the vine, is that true? Any other tips? Thanks all! I always learn something from this site and its helpful members.
Attachments
DSCI0378.jpg

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are you sure it's Butternut? Looks like Trombone squash .

Eric

sunflower13

You know I am not sure anymore lol. I have had some weird things pop up but they are from seed packets from companies. I even have 2 pumpkins from the same seed packet producing different pumpkins with different designs. The fun of gardening :lol:

sunflower13

I guess it may be a butternut as the link shows a weird shape one like mine from the Burpee's Butterbush. That is the seed I used. I wonder how it will taste lol :). It sure is a weird plant. Took forever to produce any flowers.

https://www.finegardening.com/plants/art ... rters.aspx

imafan26
Mod

Butterbush does look like that when it is very young. Butterbush has never held on to more than three fruit for me, the others either fall off or got stung. Walthama butternut is sweeter, but butterbush is o.k. I have one on my counter now. This year I got three.

sunflower13

imafan26 wrote:Butterbush does look like that when it is very young. Butterbush has never held on to more than three fruit for me, the others either fall off or got stung. Walthama butternut is sweeter, but butterbush is o.k. I have one on my counter now. This year I got three.
Does the other butternut grow a huge vine like pumpkins? I am thinking of growing them next year instead of the butterbush.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I was curious too about how Butternut holds up to light frost. I have some monster Waltham Butternuts out there on the vines, but am going on vacation for 3 wks. I would like to just leave them out there, but it may frost before I get back, or it may not. Will be back around Oct. 15. Sometimes here it doesn't frost until after Nov. 1st, but sometimes it does. Maybe covering them with a cloth or some garden debris might protect them?

sunflower13

Taiji wrote:I was curious too about how Butternut holds up to light frost. I have some monster Waltham Butternuts out there on the vines, but am going on vacation for 3 wks. I would like to just leave them out there, but it may frost before I get back, or it may not. Will be back around Oct. 15. Sometimes here it doesn't frost until after Nov. 1st, but sometimes it does. Maybe covering them with a cloth or some garden debris might protect them?
I need to know this too. Is it like pumpkin or is it sensitive like a tomato plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think the first frost will kill the plant. Always does here. I leave my winter squash on the vines till frost then go pick them up The first frost doesn't seem to hurt the fruit.

sunflower13

jal_ut wrote:I think the first frost will kill the plant. Always does here. I leave my winter squash on the vines till frost then go pick them up The first frost doesn't seem to hurt the fruit.
Thanks! Glad to hear this. If I have an early frost I will leave them be unless it continues to be freezing and will cure them indoors if need be. I am so new to squash but totally hooked. Already got 5 new varieties I want to grow next year. Have no idea where I will be growing them :D. Details to figure out later. Going to need a large yard.

Cola82
Green Thumb

The bush type butternut that I have produced a fruit just like that, but it got BER and I tossed it. The plant doesn't seem to have any other little fruits on it, either, so I'm just leaving it in the middle of the yard with minimal care. I haven't been super impressed with it.

sunflower13

Cola82 wrote:The bush type butternut that I have produced a fruit just like that, but it got BER and I tossed it. The plant doesn't seem to have any other little fruits on it, either, so I'm just leaving it in the middle of the yard with minimal care. I haven't been super impressed with it.
Yeah I am going to go for the regular vining butternut plant next year. A lot of work for small fruit and so few. Plus, mine took so long just to flower. Pumpkins, watermelon and late planted zucchini beat this thing. Suppose to be 75 days but it will be more like 100. Too much work for me.

MaryDel

Butternut, hubbard and most winter squashes taste better and keep longer if they are picked after a light frost or two.

sunflower13

MaryDel wrote:Butternut, hubbard and most winter squashes taste better and keep longer if they are picked after a light frost or two.
Thanks, MaryDel! I didn't know that. Will have to try this.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”