GTC71
Newly Registered

Conditioning soil with many roots

I have a heavily shaded area to the left and right of a sidewalk right outside of my condo. Someone else has placed some brick (to help contain soil erosion) and river stones (to minimize soil splatter on their car).

I think that I want to remove the river stones, remove the sand colored bricks and plant some Liriope. If it's not planted dense enough then it just won't spread. I'm thinking that conditioning the soil may help with the plant growth. However, I know there are many roots in this area from the trees and am not sure how to go about doing it. Picture of area below:

Any suggestions about how to make the soil better?

Thanks.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Re: Conditioning soil with many roots

The trees are not so close so if you do it by hand and take care not hurt them you should be fine. I would not take out the boarder as it will help hold back the soil. You could also add a bit of soil on top.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

imafan26
Mod

Re: Conditioning soil with many roots

Since you live in a condo, is that a common area? Around here people can plant small sections in front of there door only with permission and approval of the planting plan, otherwise the association takes care of maintenance.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Landscaping”