kensue
Newly Registered

how to make a hanging cherry tomato rebloom

I have a hanging cherry tomato plant that has produced fantastically this year, but its still very early and I want to make it produce again. How do I do this?

n8young
Cool Member

Patience, must have you.......Hot, the weather it is.....

applestar
Mod

It depends on the variety. Some are determinate and once they fruit they are done.

Read the Blossom Drop sticky. Temperature may not be conducive.
:arrow: https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewto ... 15&t=14764
-- Is your location favorable for summer tomatoes? You need temps to be no more than 80‘s high and 60's low with only occasional 90's high and 70's low and rarely much higher.

How big is the hanging pot?

kensue
Newly Registered

My pot is 14 inches and our weather is great for tomato's. It is a very nice healthy looking plant it just has bloomed and produced already this year and I want it to continue. All suggestions will be appreciated. Sue

applestar
Mod

If that's the case, it really shouldn't have stopped blooming. Once blooming begins, tomatoes keep blooming and fruiting unless it is not getting enough sun, or will bloom but the blooms drop off due to too much humidity or heat resulting in pollination failure.

Again, if it is a determinate variety (fruit trusses terminate all shoots), then once all fruits ripen at once, the vines will decline and die. But indeterminate varieties will continue to grow new floral/fruit trusses along the growing vines and new shoots unless temperatures fall to 40's°F.

- Are you pruning the vines?

- Have you been fertilizing it? What is the NPK ratio? It's best to use something like Tomato- tone with low N -- 1st number -- and higher P and K numbers.

- Could you post pictures?

Smallgardener

Yes, Pics would help.
Pruning it back or beating it with a broom as the old timers say.

applestar
Mod

My question about pruning was more that the OP might be accidentally cutting off shoots that would be growing new blossom/fruit trusses, but I have heard that particular method typically mentioned for fruit trees DOES work on indeterminates used in milder form -- shade or stress the main trunk.

Have not tried it but maybe gardens that suffer near hurricane and tornado gusts have similar results?

imafan26
Mod

What is the name of the tomato?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”