wesleyc

Mystery woody plant growing...

Hi all!

I live in Phoenix, AZ and I've recently taken over my yard. We are renting our house and my dad doesn't much care to keep it in shape for some reason...

But I was pulling weeds the other day and looking at our plants and seeing what was growing and what wasn't. I thought one of our bushes was FINALLY starting to regrow, but on closer inspection its a different plant growing around the bush. And these plant also seems to be growing in other areas of the yard as well. It's kind of bland looking so it blends in with the rocks in the picture. It has a very woody stem and almost has a waxy sort of quality to the plant but I might be mistaken. I've tried pulling it out in other areas and it seems to somehow have very deep roots and I end up ripping the plant from the root or tearing off all of the leaves as my hands slide off the plant and I fall on my butt. Any insight would be appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 612 times

beks467

Re: Mystery woody plant growing...

Hmm...From the picture and description it sure looks and sounds a lot like bamboo (cane). Segmented and skinny leaves. Pesky plant. Are they just singular shoots? Or are they like a shrub?

wesleyc

They are singular shoots but they cluster up so they look like a bush. That's how I was able to mistake the bush itself as growing... Does it even count as a weed?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Since you live in the West, take a look at this article on fireweed, Chamerion angustifolium. Be sure to take a good look at the leaf veins of your plants and the description in the article about the unusual features of the C. angustfolium leaf veins; they seem to be a defining charateristic.

I fight these beasts at my MIL's house about 40 miles SSW of here, in Palo Alto. She has much warmer weather than I do--although not as hot as Phoenix!--and quite a lot of fireweed. Bleah. :x

I could be wrong, but fireweed is a place to start. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wesleyc

cynthia_h wrote: Be sure to take a good look at the leaf veins of your plants
No, it doesn't seem to have the unusual veins. So that counts out fireweed. I actually would have left it if it truely was fireweed. It looks nice :)

beks467

Well, I was also wrong. It's not bamboo. And bamboo is considered a perennial grass. I'm all out of ideas. Good luck with your mystery weed!!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Have you ruled out a willow seedling.?
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

wesleyc

I didn't even know there were desert willows! From whatever pictures I'm finding though, they don't appear to be the same. I think I will just pull them all up but leave one and see if it flowers/grows/becomes radioactive and try to figure it out from there. They sure are hard to pull out though.

Return to “Plant Identification”