edowney
Newly Registered

How do I get rid of creeping charlie?

Hi Folks,

I have a weed I have identified as creeping charlie running a muck in my yard. I've already used Scott's turf builder once on it this season and it did start to turn yellow but then it greened right back up again. How do you get rid of this stuff? I admit that beyond cutting the grass and doing the weed & feed twice a year that's pretty much the extent of my yard maintenance know how. For instance once it is gone then what? Should I look at seeding the area? Obviously I would like to replace old charlie with grass so I'm all ears on how to make that happen.

Thanx!

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The post right below yours in Lawn Care Forum index is also about creeping charlie:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 32&t=53259

There have been several others this spring, which you can find with the Google Custom Search box above (only searches helpful gardener).

Perhaps you all should form a creeping charlie support group? :( It is very difficult to get rid of. It has been suggested that mowing your lawn very short (like scalping it) so that you mow off a lot of the creeping charlie leaves helps. If you just mow high, you cut the grass without touching the creeping charlie, which gives CC an advantage.

Creeping charlie grows best in moist shady spots with low soil fertility, or compacted soil. So anything you can to to improve the drainage, reduce moisture, let in more light, improve the soil, will help your grass compete better. If you drag a rake along the ground, you can catch a lot of the CC runners and pull it. That doesn't get the roots, but if you do it on a regular basis, it will slow it down.

Return to “Lawn Care”