susan38804
Newly Registered

Artichokes in Shock - Way to Nurse Back to Health?

Hi,
I am a new member from the desert Southwest. I found gardening here to be quite different than the Midwest. It has been a learning experience!
A couple of years ago I purchased 2 artichokes plants. Not knowing much about them, here was mistake #1, I planted them both in 1 huge container. They grew and produced about 15 chokes. Then the ceramic container split in half.

I had to replant them. After reading up on artichokes, I understood how they should be spaced. To my surprise, when I went to replant them, I didn't realize they reproduce. I had 7 new plants.

Here was mistake #2, I had to separate the plants and had no idea how. I was able to get the original plants split apart, but not the rest, so I just moved the plants to a large section of my garden hoping the space would separate them. The artichoke plants loved their new space and within a couple weeks there were about 20 baby chokes between all the plants.

Here was mistake #3. I failed to built a fortrace around this section of the garden, and the pesky neighborhood riff raff rabbits attacked the artichokes- inflicting quite a bit of damage. The plants have gone into shock. The baby chokes started dying, so I cut off all the fruit. I have since installed a fence, motion sensors and laser beams to deter the fawna.

I fixed mistake #1 by replanting the artichokes into a large section of garden. I need advise on how to successfully separate off shoots. But before I do that, I need to know if there is a way to nurse my artichokes back to health, or if I should just pull them and start over.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: Artichokes

I've grown them over the years and have had them do exactly what you are describing. The new plants are known as "pups" and from my research, it is best to remove them for transplant in the early spring or late fall.

Now that you know how large the plants get, you know to give them plenty room in the garden. Mine got huge when I grew them and they over-wintered in 2011 into the spring of 2012. My plants got between 4-5 ft. tall and had about the same spread from side to side.

Sorry, but as a city dweller, we have no rabbit problems, just coons and possums-----believe it or not. Fortunately they only hit the fig tree when it is producing and leave the garden alone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”