ahud
Newly Registered

Can you ID this grass type plant for me?

Hello,

First time post. The grass plant in the picture is used in landscaping all over Clemson's campus. I really like the plant and would like to landscape with it at my new house. Could you please tell me the name of the plant? Also, if some of you are familar with it, maybe you could tell me how hard it is to grow, and any tips to get it to grow in really thick like in the picture.

Thank you,
Aaron

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Aaron, I presume you're in SC (Clemson). What you see could be monkey grass. There is a fancier name, but still just monkey grass. Yes, it is tough, can be mowed not quite like regular grass. Check with the landscape people for a good answer. I clipped some back and threw clippings in the compost/dirt/worm pile and it is reluctant to break down like grass and other green things.

ahud
Newly Registered

Thank you very much Susan!

Apparently the plant goes by the name Monkey grass and Mondo grass. Hopefully I can find it it for sale. If not, I'll take some of my tuition money back via plants! I was able to find out some stuff on it after you gave me the name. From what I have read, it is a very tough plant (some say invasive) and does well in shaded areas. Sounds like I have a good favorite plant for a beginner!

Do you know if building a bed out of landscaping timbers would keep the plan contained? I'd like to plant it around some trees, but if it spreads as much as people claim then I may end up causing myself headache.

imafan26
Mod

Mondo grass should not really be mowed, it leaves the tips brown. It is hard to fill in so plant it close. It does not compete with weeds very well. It comes in standard and dwarf forms. It is good for areas that have a lot of shade and used a lot in Japanese gardens. It is usually not a grass you walk on.

Return to “Plant Identification”