It took me awhile to get back to the discussion, since I had to forage around in my notes.
I haven't done that much Bokashi, only twice. The last time in three different sized containers.
The first time I used a 20-gallon plastic garbage container. This last time 60, 32, and five-gallon containers were used.
Lime culls and wood chips were used to fill the five and 32-gallon containers. My guesstimate, at this point, is that there were somewhere around 150-pounds of limes that were run through a chipper, combined with wood chips, and then run through the shredder.
'Activated' EM-1 was sprayed at nearly full strength on the material as it was compacted into the containers. That was on December 21st 2012.
On December 31st 2012, the 60-gallon container was filled in much the same way except that the organic matter was a 24-gallon container of kitchen waste (greens & browns), and a week old compost pile made from sweet potato vines and wood chips. This time the organic matter was sprayed with 16-ounces of activated EM-1 mixed with an additional 48-ounces of Reverse Osmosis water for a total of 64-ounces via a small hand pump sprayer while being put through the shredder. Before it was compacted into the container, it was saturated with more tap water.
After four-months, near the end of April 2013, I 'harvested' the 32 and 60-gallon containers. The material at the top of both containers was dry. The centers were moist and somewhat 'fragrant'. While the saturated material at the bottom of the 32-gallon barrel, had a somewhat objectionable odor, and the material from the same level of the larger container, though, not 'gag a maggot', was unpleasant.
Previously, I had mad Bokashi in a 24-gallon barrel. It, also, was the lime cull mixture. When it was 'harvested' after a couple of months, the lime chunks were still identifiable and had a 'glassy' appearance, similar to the difference when cabbage is turned to sauerkraut. It had the definite scent of a ferment.
I just 'harvested' the five-gallon container this week since we were having this discussion. So, it has been 'cooking' for nine months. The material was moist, dark, dark brown to black with what looks to be mycorrhizal filaments on top and it retained a faint scent of lime. Mid-bucket the 'aroma' was stronger and for a time was reminiscent of Latakia tobacco. At the bottom of the bucket lime chunks were still identifiable.
The pH was checked with a meter that has a range from 3.5 to 9H. When the probe was first inserted, it pegged the needle on the alkaline side and settled at 7.25 pH. When the probe was moved slightly, the needle pegged again. It's not a professional instrument, so the most I'd be comfortable indicating is that this bokashi was on the alkaline side.
The first batch of lime-Bokashi was given back to the lime tree and spread at the drip line, though, there was only enough to go half way around the tree. Shortly afterward there was an explosion in the earthworm population in that band.
The following year the tree had at least a 180% increase in the usable fruit. Previous to that, 50% of the tree's ripe fruit had what looked to be blossom end rot.
The season after I had placed the Bokashi I took a soil sample to have that particular 'band' tested. It tested 70% humus.
From my experience, EM-1 works in both aerobic and anaerobic conditions. If you can wait awhile longer, I'll look up info in Dr. Higa's books on the issue.
I am grateful that the innate ability for Cosmos to function does not depend on human understanding or acceptance.