SpiritHealer
Newly Registered

Having trouble with a few plants.

My aloe vera, peppermint, and garden sage, specifically.

I think my aloe got baked in the hot sun, but I've moved it indoors, close to a south facing window that gets lots of sun, and it is continuing to wither. I water it whenever the soil, which is a special succulent mix, is completely dry. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

My peppermint was doing really well, then just started dying. I clipped off the dead growth, and new leaves have started growing. It is growing in Scotts Hyponex potting soil, and gets watered 2-3 times a week. I thought maybe the freak heat wave have baked it as well, so I moved it to the same window as the aloe.

The sage is in a large outdoor planter, with the same Hyponex soil as the mint. I have it sitting in a warm sunny spot, and water it about twice a week. It has not grown at all since I planted it a month ago.

Any tips or tricks?
Currently growing: Carrots, Russet potatoes, Chamomile, Peppermint, Sweet mint, Basil, Parsley, Chives, Aloe Vera, Garlic, Calendula, Feverfew, Corn, Spinach, Romaine lettuce, Echinacea, Garden sage, Lemongrass, Pink Brandywine and Roma tomatoes, onions

vinyl217

Re: Having trouble with a few plants.

I've read many poor reviews of Scotts Hyponex potting soil , may want to repot in some Pro-Mix or Sunshine Mix or similar. Also, if they're inside and still being watered 2-3 times a week that may be too much as well unless the potting mix has no water retention ability. My advice would be a potting mix change. Hope this helps.
From the Scotts website:
https://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/hypone ... BF21D4CB9C
"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?" - Clark W. Griswold

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Go away, spammer, I have already reported you...
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

imafan26
Mod

Hyponex is not the best quality soil. MG potting soil, black gold, Gardener and Bloom are the better soil mixes here.

I use a lot of potting soil, so I prefer to make my own using 50% peat moss and 50% perlite plus osmocote slow release fertilizer. I have used this mix for years for everything. The peat provides good root support and the perlite can be decreased if you want a mix that holds more water. I have a lot of rain so I need a mix that can handle water everyday.

Some people are experimenting with other soil mixes and you can probably find other recipes.
I tried coir and it holds too much water as does mixes that have more than 20% compost in them. If I add compost to my mix, it is vermicompost.

For citrus trees I plant in pure black cinder. I fertilize with a slow release and citrus food when I get around to it. The black cinder will never contract in the pot and to keep citrus trees in pots for 15 years, aeration is the most important thing.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”