FreshGardener
Newly Registered

What happen to my Gerbera Daisy?

I just bought the pot last week. It was fine for the last few days. I even read the forum how to take care of them right the way when I got the pot home. I used to put it outside the balcony. But since it got really windy and cold these two days. I place it in my shower windows and I felt the mud was a bit dry today and i water it once today. Also one of the stem got banded I used a wire to protect it from banding. But later on this afternoon, the leafs and petals got really flimsy all of the sudden. What did I do wrong? How can I save them??
Attachments
This is the first day I bought it
This is the first day I bought it
20130509_191835.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 369 times
What happen today
What happen today
20130513_182034.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 369 times
20130513_182024.jpg
20130513_182024.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 369 times

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Re: What happen to my Gerbera Daisy?

Very confusing post. My best guess is that the plant is suffering from too much water. Too much water IMO is the single greatest killer of potted plants. The soil should certainly dry on top before watering, and it should just be barely moist deeper in the pot. Since clay pots breath, plants in them are much less prone to suffer from water logged roots.

Also, I couldn't tell from your post whether you just bought the pot, or just bought the plant. In any event, if the plant is new from the nursery, it is likely tender as gerbera daisies are often grown in semi shade areas or under shade cloth. So putting the plant outside directly in the sun and the wind would be very harsh on it. Gradually introduce the plant to those outside conditions, with only a visit of an hour or two at first. The plant will likely do better in filtered light or morning sun only, as they don't hold up well under the hot afternoon sun.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

FreshGardener
Newly Registered

Re: What happen to my Gerbera Daisy?

Sorry for my bad English. It looks even worst today
Attachments
This is what it looks like today :(
This is what it looks like today :(
20130514_110143.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 360 times

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”