pborden
Newly Registered

How do I repel dogs and especially cats from my garden?

How do I keep dogs and especially neighboring cats from using my garden as their litter box- assuming I can't fence it-
Thanks

Geek

There is a spray that is made from cayenne peppers that is supposed to repel them. I haven't used it because it is pricey but most hardware garden centers carry it.

webmaster
Site Admin

Cayenne pepper is needlessly violent. Visit this site for some great tips on repelling cats and dogs.

https://www.ghorganics.com/page6.html#CATS%20and%20DOGS

They discuss using citrus, planting certain herbs that cats and dogs dislike, and other solutions that will keep the pests out of the garden without causing needless harm or pain.

Where you can, do plant small border fences around certain plants. That will help keep them out. I have a friend that has a huge (and I mean gigantic) backyard he's turned into a farm complete with chickens. He sells his eggs and produce to local gourmet restaurants that are crazy for locally grown organic produce. He's installed foot high borders around his strawberries, lettuce, mustard, artichokes, beans, etc. and nothing gets in there to bother them. Not sure if this helps, but he's also planted a large number citrus trees around the borders of his property. He owns a dog but the dog never gets into the fruits and veggies, ever.

Good luck!

tiggs&oscar

Well said webmaster,

There is no need to resort to harsh tactics although I think I would be happy tp pay the expensive price and try it on Geek! ;)

TO

fourx
Newly Registered

You know how they hate flea powder? :wink: I sprinkle a little around the edges of any new plantings in my garden plot- works great.
And, around the edges of the plot ( which is not tiny- around the size of a tennis court) I grow potatoes..horses and cows won't touch them, and I guess the system, which works with kangaroos, would work with deer as well.

Marge
Cool Member

I had this problem with next door's cat leaving little 'presents' in the borders. After trying orange peel, smelly gels, prickly plants ... I finally shelled out and bought a couple of sonic pest deterrents.

These sonic devices work a treat - no more cat or dog problems :)

busyasabee
Newly Registered

After much frustration with cats and dogs who frequent the plant and flower borders that surround our front porch and many attempts at repelling them, I did some searches for natural repellents. Most of them still seemed costly but it was interesting to learn of the cat's repulsion to citrus. I visualized many concoctions that probably would not have lasted through the first rain. It suddenly dawned on me that I had several inexpensive Airwick automatic, metered spray dispensers, and although they don't make a truelemon refill, I had previously purchased some from a restaurant supply company. I simply replaced the spray nozzle so it would fit and placed one on the porch floor near the border. I set the timer for every 18 minutes and waited. Our perimeter alarm soon alerted us to the unwanted guest so we peeked through our window and watched as the cat stopped, sniffed and walked off. We later placed one on each end of the porch and so far, after three weeks.......

JEF3268
Newly Registered

I have sold everything from animal repellents, motion activated water sprayers, sprays and powders. The best thing we have found is an electric fence. It works for all animal and rodents.

Other methods work for a little while but some animal get adjusted to it and it doesnt repel them anymore. Good thing about electric fences is that they are relatively inexpensive and will not injure the animal or a person.

You can take a look at all of our animal control products at [url]https://www.flemingoutdoors.com[/url]

Good Luck ! :D

jsr54
Newly Registered

I got one of the Scarecrow sprinklers for my dad for exactly this problem (he also had some problems with birds in his garden as well). He says that it has gotten rid of the cats very well (in fact they are now trained and he doesn't need to use it for them, but the birds still need it on).

Here's a review of it that might be helpful.

https://howtogardenguide.com/2007/05/01/scarecrow-motion-activated-sprinkler-review/

Just remember that it activates with humans too, so don't forget to turn off the hose when you wander into the protected area!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”