gummystar2
Newly Registered

Newbie needing help on when to transplant!

While I asked about tomatoes in the Tomato Forum, I have a bunch of other transplants started indoors.. this is my first time starting indoors and I need some advice on when to start hardening off and transplanting the following plants:

- Broccoli di Cicco (started 3/8)
- Lettuces: Black Seeded Simpson and Butterhead (started 3/8)
- Sweet California Orange Bell Peppers (started 3/8)
- Patty Pan Squash (will be starting on 3/18)

So long as I'm successful at raising these beauties to seedlings, can someone help me out on when to move them outdoors? Thanks in advance for any and all help! :)
Asheville, NC | Zone 7a | Frost Free: April 15th - October 23rd | Elevation: 2200 ft.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Broccoli and lettuce should be planted out when they are two inches tall. They are cold hardy and if it is still a little cool they will do fine.

Peppers and squash on the other hand are not cold hardy. They should be planted out when all danger of frost is past. I don't know that date for your location. Perhaps you are already there?

Plant types that are cold sensitive and slow to grow, like tomatoes and peppers are often planted indoors or in a green house to get an early start. They can be hardened off by putting them in direct sun for 4 hours a day then gradually increase the exposure for a few days to a week.

These warmer weather plants are often covered with hot caps after planting in the garden.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gummystar2
Newly Registered

Thank you very much! This was very helpful.. also, all my location/frost info is in my signature. :)

I have mostly grown greens from seed- and in the past my dad would buy tomato seedlings. But I moved this winter to a new area and with actual backyard space to grow more than greens on a deck, I'm overwhelmed yet excited! Haha.
Asheville, NC | Zone 7a | Frost Free: April 15th - October 23rd | Elevation: 2200 ft.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As jal_ut noted, the lettuce and broccoli can go in your garden as soon as they are big enough and hardened off. Once hardened they are frost tolerant. Lettuce I usually direct seed in the garden as soon as the soil can be worked.

For next year, you might start broccoli indoors earlier. It tends not to do well once it gets hot, so benefits from a head start.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

gummystar2
Newly Registered

Yeah I definitely will start it earlier, that's a great point. I got kinda stuck because of an out of state move but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. If not I can at least hope for a fall crop, right?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”