Jynx
Newly Registered

Large 10ft Pony Tail Palm Yellowing

Hi everyone, this is my first post and hopefully the first of many to come.

I am in the process of purchasing a home with an extravagant garden in southern Florida. The home has established plants and trees and is very obvious the plants have been very well taken care of in the past. There are bottlebrush trees, fishtail palms, a gardenia as big as the house, tiny banana trees, pitcher flower type vines (not sure what those are yet), and the 3 or 4 large pony tail palms. In the 9 or so months the house has been empty, the plants have begun to sag and yellow.

I researched the ponys on this site and most of the advice pertains solely to the little potted plants. I was hoping someone can help me with the larger versions. The leaves are turning yellow, almost white, and are sagging more than usual. We just finished Floridas dry season, and the rains will pick up almost daily with sun showers here soon. To perk up palms, should I treat the soil with any specialty items, or hope the regular rain, sprinkler system will do the job right?

Thanks for all your help,
Jynx
Last edited by Jynx on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jynx
Newly Registered

Maybe this will help

As I have gotten no responses, I decided to post a picture of the palm. Maybe that will help.

https://i.imgur.com/KsVO0.jpg

Thanks

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

drooping / wilting is not uncommon if it has gone bone dry.

google Henry Donselman if you want the best expert advice.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”