Mathematics
Newly Registered

ID please >> Crassula ovata obliqua

Hi all

Can anyone ID this please?

Also can I prune this back to get a smaller tighter plant?

Thanks

Chris

Happy Days

Hi, From what I can see, it appears to be Crassula ovata obliqua. That one looks good! :D

You can prune or pinch it, but pruning that particular plant is usually done to increase the size of the trunk and root system to support the heavy top growth. These plants tend to make a large trunk and branch on up the trunk and are most often seen with one specimen per pot.

You can also root cuttings you take to grow new plants. :)

Mathematics
Newly Registered

Thanks happy days

Would you advise pruning would it help the plant?

Some of the leaves lower down the trunks/stalks don't look great

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking it would grow "tighter" if you give it more light. Even moving it to in front of the glass pane instead of (probably) centering it on the windowsill, where the central woodwork always casts a heavy shadow no matter the sun's angle, might help?

Make sure you put a "riser" in the bottom of the coverpot under the actual pot so it's never sitting in excess water. I use anything from OJ lids, tuna cans to shallow takeout containers.

Happy Days

Mathematics wrote:Thanks happy days

Would you advise pruning would it help the plant?

Some of the leaves lower down the trunks/stalks don't look great
The yellowing, shriveling, and dropping of the lower leaves is the natural habit of this plant and nothing to worry about as long as it isn't waterlogged as applestar pointed out. Good drainage is crucial.

I will say that your specimen looks very good. How old is it?

Mathematics
Newly Registered

Thanks guys will try that may need to drill holes in the bottom of the pot!!

No idea how old I inherited from my mum!!

Happy Days

I also agree that it could probably use more light. These plants can take direct sun up to a point if it isn't too intense (will also cause the leaf edges to turn red on some plants). Be cautious about too much direct sunlight through window glass as that can sometimes "fry" a plant.

I neglected to say that if you are getting too much shriveling and dying of lower leaves, it's probably too wet. They especially don't like a lot of water during the winter months.

You can probably get away with pruning it but not too severely.

Mathematics
Newly Registered

Thanks happy days I will drill the bottom of the pot to help drainage and move it into better and see how it gets on.

Will leaves regrow lower down the 'trunk' or is it a case of when they're gone they're gone?

Happy Days

Sometimes. Leaves will grow out of the cut ends and from the rings on the stems of a pruned plant.

Move it gradually to brighter light. Moving the plants too quickly from shade to sun can injure or kill them.

Also, fresh soil/fertilizer can be helpful if the plant has been in the same pot and soil for a long time. Don't increase pot size too much, just one size up if you need to repot and don't repot if the plant doesn't need it.

Mathematics
Newly Registered

I want mine to bush out like that! Looks brilliant. To get it like that do you think I should or just drain it better and maybe feed it?

Happy Days

Thank you. That is just a little bit different than yours. That's my Crassula ovata (not obliqua) so the leaf shape is a bit rounder, but the information and all is the same.

I would take a conservative approach and try draining and letting it dry out a bit. Feed it when warm weather starts to arrive. That's most likely when you will have success with new growth. If you observe it closely, you will see when it starts to wake up a bit. Do you have anywhere to sit it outside in the summer?

It will be interesting to see how yours responds. I do luv these plants!

Mathematics
Newly Registered

Yeah will see how it goes. Drilled the bottom of the pot.

Can put it outside when the weather gets better but no guarantees here in the UK!!

Happy Days

It can no doubt take a lot of sun there too.

Where is Hull?

Mathematics
Newly Registered

On the east coast. Have you heard of the river Humber?

Happy Days

Yes, I've heard of it but not very familiar with it. A large bridge, isn't there? I was fortunate to visit England some years ago but not that area. It is a beautiful country. I enjoyed all the gardens, of course, and it seemed that every nook and cranny was planted with flowers and so forth.

Mathematics
Newly Registered

Yeah huge suspension bridge - it's one great water feature!!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”