Sootstar3
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Nsw australia

Strange polyps in my potting mix

Hi, i have strange polyp looking things in my big pots. Its something thats sprouted out of potting mix ( cant remember which brand) because only the pots i filled with that mix are effected. They start off as little light brown buds then burst open into polyp looking things with 3 tiny grey seed looking things in the middle. they grow in clusters and look like fungai but arnt hairy they are quiet woody when dry.... They keep spreading and there creepy looking please help. I have a photo but don't know how to upload yet [/img]
Image Image
im almost possitive its just a funga but how do i get rid of it and ive never seen them before. im also pregnant and don't want to handle them (probly over cautious i know) i did remove them from the surface of the soil ages ago but obviously have spores deep down. my plants are ying but not thriving either not sure if theyl effect the healoth of the plants.
Last edited by Sootstar3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 27900
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

Still would like to see the photos, but it's most likely some kind of slime mold or other fungus. They are often present in potting mix containing a lot of woody organic materials that haven't fully composted.

They are mostly harmless but can be a problem indoors for people with allergies since they will release spores. Not an issue at all if they are outdoors since the fungus helps to break down the organic matter.

sepeters
Senior Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: AZ, zone 9

Hmm. Do they have stems? How about gills? Do you see a substance on the wood chips or your plants that looks like wet or dry black ink?

I once had inky cap mushrooms. The spores were on some mulch I bought for the roses. They start off very small and sort of tan and creamy. At this point the cap is bell shaped and the stem is short. Within a day the stem elongates and the cap opens to a triangular shape and soon curls upward and spreads its spores (looks like black ink and is slimy and smells badly), often leaving only the stem and a few feathery looking wisps of cap. The mushrooms lean over and drip their ink on everything.
Inky cap mushrooms will become a toxin in your system if you eat them or their spores within 24 hours of alcohol consumption. As little as one beer and several mushrooms could cause them to become toxic. :shock: Handling them is not dangerous to you, but you should wear some latex gloves if you do handle them and throw the gloves away without touching anything. The spores will grow on any uncomposted wood and will be extremely hard to get rid of if they do spread.

Does this sound like your fungi? The pictures are great, but I could not see if they had stems. :) Try googling inky cap mushroom and compare the images to yours. :idea:

Sootstar3
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Nsw australia

Hi, thanks for your reply thats very interesting. No they don't have stems or leak any fluid and the plants seem to be unharmed by it. It really has me stumped but atleast if my plants get little mushroom like things ill know what to first look at. Cheers

Sootstar3
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Nsw australia

O my goodness so excited right now i just discovered what the fungai is.... After ALOT of net surfing i found a site for a Calafornian university that pictured a photo of these weired critters. Turns out there birdsnest fungai which are closely related to the puff fungai. They belong to the same family of fungai which carry there spores on there fruit body. When they pop open they release thousands of spores and can spread up to 6 feet. Pritty queer but glad i solved it

Thomas CA
Full Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: San Pedro, CA

Glad I found this thread. I've been seeing these things pop up all over my garden in the hundreds the past few months. Usually after a good rain. I leave them alone thinking it just means I've got some good living soil.

I only use local free composted manure and mulch in my gardens.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”