Its nothing special, as it was only a $15 baby Bonsai, but for a first timer I didn't want to get too elaborate and ruin a potentially good tree. My digital camera is ancient, so I will post a picture in a day or so after I can borrow a friend's. I would like any help you can give on identifying the type of plant. I have searched a number of websites trying to find pictorial examples, but the ones I found were difficult to compare.
My question for now is about the first potting and caring for a baby Bonsai. The tree came with a small pot, pebbles, soil, small amount of fertilizer, moss for decoration, and a single training wire. It has the following directions about potting:
- - Cover the bottom of the pot with a layer of pebbles 3/16" deep
- Gently loosen the soil and roots with fingers, do not disturb the root mass
- Spread roots around the pot in a loose, comfortable manner
- Place the fertilizer around the base of the tree
- Fill the rest of the container with soil using fingers to pack firmly
I have read the stickies but found most have to do with repotting, pruning, etc. I am prepared to undue the initial potting I did (only a few days ago) if needed, as well as purchase better soil and necessities (within reason, I am a college student on a budget).
Looking forward to quite a learning process but I'm sure it'll be interesting.