musho3210
Newly Registered

Started Growing Strawberries

A few weeks ago my mom and i had the idea to start a garden, we set up a few plastic bed type things and filled it with soil. We recently bought 9 strawberry plants, 7 ever bearing and 2 june bearings. The june bearing ones were bought at home depot in those small REALLY dry containers with absolutely no moisture or sunlight, we quickly bought them and brought them home and planted and watered them. Luckily they both survived. We also bought 2 ever bearings that were still sort of small in some watered pots outside, one died since our dogs got to it and ripped it to shreds so ones left and it is doing very well and has grown a few more leaves. We then bought 6 more of the same plant and a few more pots. The 6 that we bought already had a few flowers and some very small strawberries that just popped out. A few leaves died in the transfer but it is doing well now. Now i just need a lot of info on how to take care of these plants....

pixelphoto

being as these are first year strawberries I would pick all fruit and pinch off all blooms. The plants really need to grow roots and leaves the first year. (I know that means no strawberries this year) The second year you should do fine and the third year should be full go. Keep em watered and don't spray water them use a soaker hose or pour at the base of each plant that way you don't spray them and get soil borne bacteria on their leaves. You should be good otherwise.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

musho3210
Newly Registered

ok so i should cut the flowers and the strawberries that just started coming out right? And shouldnt let the water go on the leaves right?

One question, do i cut off the strawberry now or wait until its produced?

pixelphoto

you are right on both accounts. Pick what fruit is there now and cut all flowers now. This will make the plant grow better and create a better rooting system as well as leaves and daughter plants later. Making fruit and flowers uses alot of the plants resources.
I know some people who allow it to fruit and flower the first year but your plants will thank you next year if you don't allow that to happen.

Soaker hoses are better than spray watering that way you use less water the water goes directly to the roots where the plant needs it and you don't have the disease problems from soil splattering up on the plant causing problems.

pixelphoto

deleted because posted twice

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”