baphomet
Newly Registered

how long can i keep my magnolia out of the ground?

im moving from one property to another and i REFUSE to leave my poor magnolia behind. its a small-ish shrub that will be placed in burlap for the move the problem i have is im not sure how long it can stay in that state.

i want to uproot it now while i have the time then replant it when i get there in a few weeks, however i don't want to damage the root system. Is there a maximum time they can remain out of the ground?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The maximum recorded time for a potted tree is a little over seven hundred years...
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

applestar
Mod

How big isyour small shrub? Are you digging it up yourself or with professional help?

I think there is less chance of shock if it is dug up while dormant. There's also less shock if it had been previously root pruned in preparation for the move.

I see professionally balled and burlapped (I believe they use a specialized digging machine) trees and shrubs, buried in mulch and moisture levels carefully replenished, at the nurseries in springtime. THOSE trees are out of the ground for as much as two months or so I think.

We have one of those shrub magnolias -- it's pretty big now though... About 6ft high and maybe 10 ft wide.

baphomet
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:How big isyour small shrub? Are you digging it up yourself or with professional help?

I think there is less chance of shock if it is dug up while dormant. There's also less shock if it had been previously root pruned in preparation for the move.

I see professionally balled and burlapped (I believe they use a specialized digging machine) trees and shrubs, buried in mulch and moisture levels carefully replenished, at the nurseries in springtime. THOSE trees are out of the ground for as much as two months or so I think.

We have one of those shrub magnolias -- it's pretty big now though... About 6ft high and maybe 10 ft wide.
no, not professionally, just me a spade and some burlap.

since im not sure about how moist to keep the roots i think its better if i just wait until the day of or the day before to dig it out. it will be added stress but if it keeps it from dying i suppose its worth it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”