SwampWitch
Newly Registered

Sea Grass Container Question

I just bought two seagrass hanging baskets, with plastic liners. (I need to keep the catnip away from all the cats in the neighborhood!)

How do I put live plants in them? Should I punch holes in the plastic liner? They were only $10 each, but I'd still like for them to last a year or two... Finding another container to fit inside isn't a good option (very limited shopping here).

Has anyone had experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi swampwitch :D

Yes you do punch holes in them but do them about half way up the sides and not to big. They should last you at least a year but they are natural material so will eventually biodegrade. The fact that you are planting catnip in them and it doesn't like being too wet should make them last longer.

Gnome
Mod

SwampWitch,

Hello and welcome. I am not 100% sure what these containers are. I have used hanging baskets that were made of some sort of coarse fibrous material supported by a wire framework, sorry I don't have pictures. I planted directly in them and they lasted a surprisingly long time but I had Christmas Cacti in them and I kept them kind of dry.

If you decide to use the liners I would definitely perforate them as very few plants do well without drainage. You may be able to remove the liner briefly in order to water, returning them after the bulk of the water has drained.

Norm

Jess
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:SwampWitch,

Hello and welcome. I am not 100% sure what these containers are. I have used hanging baskets that were made of some sort of coarse fibrous material supported by a wire framework, sorry I don't have pictures. I planted directly in them and they lasted a surprisingly long time but I had Christmas Cacti in them and I kept them kind of dry.

If you decide to use the liners I would definitely perforate them as very few plants do well without drainage. You may be able to remove the liner briefly in order to water, returning them after the bulk of the water has drained.

Norm
Hi Gnome :D We posted at exactly the same time then. Made my computer go a bit funny for a while. Anyway the baskets are made of seagrass. rattan, willow or acacia. Some come with a fitted liner and some without. The liner is supposed to extend the life of the basket. It cannot be removed as it is integral to the design (the wires go through it!) I worked at a nursery for several years and planted up hundreds of them. The willow and rattan ones lasted quite well but the seagrass I'm afraid didn't do much more than a year. :(

SwampWitch
Newly Registered

Thanks for great ideas and tips. This is sort of what they look like:

[img]https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l102/SwampWitchLily/resize.jpg[/img]

Now, I just have to put hooks up outside, where the kitties can't reach the catnip from the ledges, trees, or roof!

Gnome
Mod

Jess,
Hi Gnome We posted at exactly the same time then. Made my computer go a bit funny for a while.
Yes I noticed that as well. Whatever happened your post came through twice but I deleted the extra one. Thanks for the info.

Norm

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”