gardener_mark
Newly Registered

How often do I pollinate each flower?

Hello, my hydroponic tomatoes have started to flower. I have an electric tooth brush that I'm going to use to pollinate them. How often should I pollinate each flower? This is one of the first plants I have ever grown.

Thanks!!!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I thought someone said a fan sometimes will help! I am having trouble with a 6foot tomato in my greenhouse that I left in there that has blossoms but no tomatoes! Its too heavy to carry out side for a week! I think the heat in here keeps the bees from coming in!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It doesn't matter how *often* a flower is pollinated. The important point is *whether* it's pollinated.

If a flower is pollinated, it can produce fruit (notice "can" rather than "will"; there's a lot more to it than simply pollination). If not, not. There's no harm, though, in making multiple attempts if you're not sure of your technique or the efficiency of your chosen technique. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If you get it at the right stage once would likely be enough. But than again it doesn't hurt to hit them mulitple times. The electric toothbrush is the best tool to use for pollination. Some people even use tunning forks I can't remember the frequency off hand (possibly middle C), but this frequency is supposed to mimic the vibrations of a bummble bees wings. Just stick with the toothbrush though. :lol: A fan can help I also shake my plants when walking by this can help release pollen as well.

Here is a pic of the ideal time, this is also when you would collect pollen when making a cross. A toothbrush would be used for this as well. If you don't have a whole lot of plants I would do it slightly before this stage at this stage and maybe once (or more) after just to make sure. With a lot of plants this can become time consuming that is where the good old shake or lightly flick the flowers can work.

Good luck

After the petals/sepals have started to curl back the flower is now receptive to pollen.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC06095.jpg[/img]
Last edited by gixxerific on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gardener_mark
Newly Registered

Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is my notion that tomatoes are wind pollinated. No insect pollinator needed. I the absence of wind a little shake of the plant will do the job.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

True Jal but the OP is talking about hydro.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”