Siadeug
Newly Registered

Jerusalem Artichokes - please help!

Hey,
sorry, I realise this is a little odd, but I really need to know about Jerusalem Artichokes and their propagation. Due to import laws and quarantine of vegetables etc, I need to know how long the Jerusalem Artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) can spend in a normal environment (ie medium humidity, no protection against light, room temperature) before it becomes useless for propagation. For example, would Jerusalem Artichoke tubers be useless for propagation after 2 weeks with no refrigeration?
Please help! It's very important.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm not really to sure about the refigeration thing but, I do know that JA's are native to North America and provided that you have them in the soil between say; October and June, you should have a bumper crop in the fall.

That being said, you can go to https://www.earthfuture.com/gardenpath/ and send Caroline an email, she'll be able answer all your questions.

Good luck!

NZG

AH finally! The button worked!

I hope this helps. I have this information for the Imperial Star Globe Artichoke. Now just to type it all out.....

High quality green globes in the first season from seed.
Start seeds indoors eight weeks before the last frost. Place hald a centimeter deep, three seeds per 10-centimeter pot. Germinate between 21 and 26 oc; seeds will sprout in about six days.

Once they've germinated, place them under a grow light or in a sunny, south facing window and provide extra artificial light in the evening (they need around 14 hours of light per day). When the seedlings develop their first true leaves, thin to the best plant per pot, or remove any weedy-looking or misshapen seedlings.
Feed every two weeks with a half strength fertilizer solution.
Once the danger of frosts has passed, slowly harden off the seedlings before planting outdoors. Seedlings shouldn't be planted out too late: plants need 10 to 14 days of temperatures below 10oc to initiate the formation of flower stalks.
Choose a location that receives full sunlight and has good air circulation but is sheltered from wind. Artchokes need well-drained, fertile soil that retains moisture. The plants have deep, branching roots, so prepare the site by bigging 30 centimetres down. Mix a shovelful of compost and organic fertilizer into the planing hole; water in the seedlings. Keep well wateres untill established; cover them is frost threatnes.
Space about one metre apart in rows, or use individual plants as highlights in an ornamental garden. Although artichokes reach three metres tall in their native environment, theyre usually only about one metre tall, with a spread of around two metres.
Muich initially with a thin layer of straw, hay or shredded leaves to preserve moisture, control weeds and keep soil moist from becoming too hot. Excessively high soil temperatures may send the plants into summer dormancy. As the plants grow, add more milch until its 20 centimetres thick.
Sufficient water is essential for producing tender heads. Water from below, as overhead watering may rot the crown of the plant.

Planting
About 90 to 100 days after transplanting, the plants send up one ot two flower stalks with heads. Artichokes grown as annuals usually produce around six heads, while those overwintered can produce up to 12.
Watch the heads carefully as they begin to develop; they'll become tough and woody if left too long. The head at the tip of the flower stalk is usually the first to mature. Harvest when its about the size of a large lemon and the scales are still closed. Cut about 2.5 centimetres below the head. This will encourage others to form.
Store unwashed artichokes in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator, sprinkling them with water to prevent dehydration. Store for up to two weeks.

I GIVE UP TYPING NOW LOL.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with Opa; not much you can do to screw that plant up. It WILL grow...

LOTS of good info. N.Z.! All we need is a good recipe now... :lol:

Scott

Siadeug
Newly Registered

Thank you very very much to everyone! Eventually I found the information I needed to help my friend - I can definitely say one thing, I've never done so much research on a damn plant in my life :|

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”