seaellare
Cool Member

Pepper to keep rabbits away?

I have read many topics here related to my problem, but not my problem exactly... I have some euonymous bushes along the side of my house (foundation bushes). They are babies, shipped bare root and planted last spring.

Our neighbor across the street harbors all of the wild rabbits in our neighborhood - they have dens in his backyard, and there are probably 10 back there at any given time. Obviously, they don't stay in the yard, as he doesn't feed them - that we know of!!

SOMETHING - and I believe it's the rabbits - ate all of my leaves from my bushes last summer. I can't trap them, and I need access to the bushes for weeding/upkeep of the bed, so chicken wire isn't a great option (tried it). I am thinking some kind of pepper spray - would that work? I read somewhere not to make your own, but I don't see why I couldn't. And if I could - how would I do this? Would I use ground pepper (which variety is the best?) mixed with water? What about sprinkling hot sauce around them (read it on another blog somewhere)?

The bushes are growing nicely, and I don't want them to be ugly sticks all summer again because some little critter decides the leaves make a good snack...

Thank you!!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi seaellare :D

Try this. It is from a site about repelling rabbits.

[Use red pepper, black pepper, cayenne, paprika etc. as a dust to repel. Rabbits are always sniffing so they snort this up and it sends them packing.]

Tell me if it works as I have several gardens where rabbits are a problem.

https://www.ghorganics.com/page6.html#Rabbits

This is the site which has some other ideas that may also help.

opp2

I see you're not going to be able to trap and release since your neighbour loves the rabbits. I use plantskydd rather than pepper or other substances, since I have litte kids. The plantskydd works well, however you do have to apply when you know it isn't going rain for 24 hours, and reapply after really heavy rain, or rain for a few days.

good luck...

seaellare
Cool Member

Thanks a bunch - I have little ones too - 2 boys. They aren't allowed to play in the front yard (too many crazies out there!!) and we have a huge backyard anyway. I'll look into the plantskydd though, I've never heard of it. Hopefully it will work and let my little bushes keep their leaves - they look so much better than they did last year!!! :lol:

Transplant
Newly Registered

Another product you could try is Ropel: it's a spray repellent, nontoxic but tastes absolutely horrid. Lasts up to a year through weather. I use it whenever the critters get out of hand in their munching, and always dip bulbs before planting so the chipmunks don't get a free lunch. It has worked beautifully for me in a wide variety of situations.

Daphne

I had a rabbit that was eating my newly planted marigolds. I liberally sprinkled cayenne pepper around the plants, as well as directly on the plants and the rabbit had left them alone. It took a few sprinklings for Mr. Bunny to get the idea but I haven't seem him in the garden anymore.

kfordakf
Newly Registered

Keeping Rabbits away from your plants

I planted Marigolds in my tomato pots to keep insects at bay. It was working pretty good, but suddenly I noticed something was eating them. What eats a Marigold? My HD friend said Rabbits! I recalled someone told me, after the rabbits had eaten both beds of Asian Jamine a few years ago, that carnivore urine would discourage them.

The next time I took my Giant Schnauzers out, I took my big male over close to the kennel where the tomatoes were and kept him there until he gave up and obliged me by lifting his leg at the corner. There has been no more damage to the marigolds.
country gardener

praying mantis
Cool Member

I have been chasing a local bunny out of my yard for a month. In the past three days, I have found him in my garden. This morning I located the bunny damage. Banicula had eaten blooms off two zinnias and 2 small basils in their entirety. The zinnias were coming back from a recent transplant. They will recover. The basils were in a constant struggle and I commended their efforts to prosper. They are gone. I have fortified my garden entrance and added some fortifications to my front gate. More construction is underway for this evening. Currently the damage is reparable and my veggies are still prospering. I am considering doing a small herb garden in the front for wildlife feasting purposes. He is a rascal that I can not train so he is not desired in my garden.

kfordakf
Newly Registered

You know, until you mentioned the special garden for the wildlife, I had forgotten this. Neil Sperry says the best way to keep wildlife away from your garden is to plant something they like better. He suggested Rye Grass for bunnies. Thanks for reminding me of that.
country gardener

ahughes798
Cool Member

Plantskydd works great.

The trouble with pepper is that it can get in the animal's eyes and it is agonizing...so I don't use it anymore.

I put a tbsp of used kitty litter in various places around the garden. Works gret.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”