parias1126
Newly Registered

Lilium bulbiferum

I just planted some of these last week. I only knew they were a type of Lily and had to look up what they actually were on the net. The flowers look as though they are sun burnt? I live in North Carolina and it isn't that hot here. I thought that they require full sun, although I could not find anything on the net other then what the flower was called. We had a couple cold nights (like 30 degrees) and I am wondering if maybe it got too cold for them?

Is it safe to trim off the old flowers that look burnt? There are new buds and lots of them. What am I to do?

Thanks for any info anyone may have!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It was the cold and sure you can; those new buds will be fine...

I like the easy ones... :lol:

HG

parias1126
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:It was the cold and sure you can; those new buds will be fine...

I like the easy ones... :lol:

HG
So are these flowers the kind that just lay dormant in the winter and fall? Or do they totally die? I am unsure if they are an annual type of flower.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yes, they are perennial...

Scott

parias1126
Newly Registered

I am back again! I just can not keep these things blooming for some reason. You can see that the blooms are there, but they just never open up. My neighbor just bought a whole bunch of them and I noticed that 2 of theirs are already gone as well.

Is there something special that these flowers need to bloom? I water them like every other day and I have used Miracle Grow for the garden and lawn (the one that you attach the bottle to your garden hose). I am not sure what else to do... I have never really had flowers before. My marigolds and petunias are thriving and gorgeous!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It would appear that it is low light levels that are the causitive agent in bud-drop in asiatic lilies. Either it's too shady or you need better weather...

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”