hansE
Newly Registered

Some questions regarding indoor Mint

Hello, I have recently bought myself 2 wonderful mint plants.

they keep me very happy sitting on my window and fill my bedroom with a very nice aroma so i can understand why many people who grow mint are quite proud of it.

Ive searched over the internet for answers but have not found any so i figured i would ask them here:

1. i notice my plants leaves (5-15% of them) tend to get a little bit dry....almost yellow but not there yet, i read this is an issue of too much water, usually i go 2 days without watering my mint but sometimes i come home and it is drooping over the edges of the pot so i am tempted to give it some water....sure enough in the next hour or 2 its perked up again (i still cant believe how fast this plant is since i can leave the room for 4 hours come back and notice some change) is it because it isnt getting enough water? (its planted in what appears to be some sort of clay or very hard earth....definitely not something i would plant stuff in but its doing alright so far......when i check the ground its bone dry.

2: harvesting the mint.

everyone says snip off sprigs when harvesting....must i always snip off sprigs? is there something wrong with taking off individual leaves?
can someone please explain this to me?

3: after picking a sprig or the leaf approximately how long before the plant regrows what i have taken back?

Thanks for reading.

-Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re taking individual leaves vs. sprigs: When you snip a stem just above a leaf node, the plant branches out at that spot, so it gets bushier.

When you just pick a leaf, that does not happen. So your stems just continue getting taller and less leafy. Eventually tall stems tend to harden up, get woody and less productive.

So snipping the stems back rejuvenates the plant, makes it bushier and leafier.

You will see the new growth to know when it has grown back what you have taken. But an established mint plant is extremely tough and hardy. You can cut up to a third of the plant at once with out slowing it down much.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”