loveykatie

Black marks on pepper plants

I planted these pepper plants purchased from a Home Depot a few weeks ago in 5 gallon buckets.
I've been generous with my watering.

I just now noticed these black spots in between sections of the pepper plants. Also a couple of holes, but no noticeable insects.
Is this something I should worry about? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

[img]https://I.imgur.com/KPo29.jpg[/img]
[img]https://I.imgur.com/6Gs8t.jpg[/img]

luvthesnapper

Lookin' ok to me. Joints of many peppers do that. Someone might be along with a more scientific explanation of what and why, but most all of my peppers over the last 5 years have darker areas, right where you have them. Mine have never had any problems, and produce heavy every year.

They look pretty strong. I'd be more concerned with what's chewing on the leaves, and if they are reproducing.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Peppers normally, or at least often, have black pigment in both the stems and also on the fruit.

loveykatie

I'm most concerned with the holes on the leaves.
An I supposed to spray or just leave the plants alone?
I don't actually see any insects.
Someone please help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The dark pigmentation is normal. The holes so far are small and won't hurt it. But my guess is slugs, which have been just eating up my pepper plants. You will never see them in the day time. Come out at night with a flashlight and look. Or put a board down flat on the soil. Leave it for a couple days, then come out in the middle of the day and see what is hiding under it.

Typical insect sprays do not work against slugs anyway, so don't go spraying at least until you know what you are spraying for.

SOB
Green Thumb

They look very healthy. I wouldn't worry about the couple of holes your have. Now if you come home and whole leaves are missing or they look like something has really been gnawing on it then you can worry.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”