Wreger
Newly Registered

Brown grass tips

I have a fairly new yard in north Missouri and early this spring I fertilized it with around 17:9:9 (mixing two fertilizers) Lawn looked great for about 2 months. now the tips of all the grass is turning brown. A rain is needed, however I don't know if I am on the verge of burning it up?

scottaa1
Newly Registered

Are the tips of the grass jagged? I.e., is it a ragged cut? Your mower blade could simply need a sharpening. It may not have shown up before and the dry conditions could be highlighting it.

I would shy away from mixing fertilizers, that just sounds like a slippery slope to me. However, if it was going to get fertilizer burn, I think it would have happened by now - probably soon after you applied it. Do you know if it was a slow release fertilizer?

Check your mower blade first. Give the lawn a deep watering as well. If it's been two months, you're actually about due for the next feeding, assuming you're using a slow release product.

Wreger
Newly Registered

They are new blades and it is a slow release fertilizer. Its not only the tips its also a spotty dark color, at first I thought it was a shorting of phosphorus but no purple in my roots. The reason Mixed the fertilizer was to one fix the purple roots and strengthen them( which worked) as well as to get a darker green color from the extra nitrogen. my lawn really needs to be thatched, could there be a problem with that?

Dr Blade

Hi Wreger

You could have dollar spot disease, if you can upload a closeup picture I could help ID.

Return to “Lawn Care”