zenpuppy
Newly Registered

Asparagus Spacing

Good evening! I am planting 25 Jersey Knight Asparagus, 2 yr old bulbs for the first time. I have an above ground garden bed that is 4' X 12'. I would like to plant 2 rows in this one bed. I know to plant 12" apart but would it be ok to plant the rows down the side of the bed. I had read you need 4' between rows and the only way I can get close to that is planting along the edge of the garden bed. Has anyone grown this...Thx

mscratch

No I don't think this is going to work well..an asparagus bed is intended to be planted in an area where they will remain for many many years undisturbed.. you cannot plant 25 plants in that small an area and definitely not on the edges as their root systems need enough area to spread out .. I would say if you are going to plant them then use only the center row and space them accordingly and only fit in the appropriate number for that row.. your best bet in my opinion is to make an area just for this asparagus.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at [url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch6.html]THIS![/url]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

That was a nice read I learned abit thanks.
Gilson (Giles) Zone 7b

zenpuppy
Newly Registered

Thank you mscratch. I was so hoping to make that my patch but I guess I will be rethinking my gardens today...hmmm...just when you think you have it figured out, it changes again :lol:

applestar
Mod

I agree with establishing asparagus bed elsewhere. Save your nice raised bed for annual vegs.

My asparagus are planted behind the strawberries... And some behind the Asiatic Lillie's. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”