dtlove129

Think I'm Planting Sunday/Monday

Extended forecast is calling for a lot of rain and highs in the 80's. I'm thinking we are finally breaking into real spring/summer weather now, and I may just take my chances. Plus this older lady that I work with and has gardened for years around here goes by the Farmer's Alamanac, and she said if she still was able to garden she would plant. I'm a country boy from the South who has always listened to "old" folks when it comes to the outdoors and that is from farming, hunting, weather, etc.
John
2nd year gardner

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think your friend is right. Go for it. I would hesitate to plant out tender nursery plants just yet, but seed of things like beans corn and squash can certainly be planted now in your area.

All of the early crops such as lettuce, peas, cabbage, carrots etc. can be planted late March or early April.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

dtlove129

Jal, I won't do my tomatoes, eggplant or peppers yet because I haven't hardened them off, but I guess that will start this evening when I get home. That away I may can get them in next weekend and hope for more rain so I don't have to water often right away. I'll probably still have some later pepper plants (if they ever germinate). I'm still watching them, and I may end up making another small section somewhere just for them to go if they germinate soon.
John
2nd year gardner

Flatlander_MB

I'll be doing the same, DT. :D Been hardening off some seedlings for a little more than a week already. I am SO ready to get my garden in. This will mark the earliest I've ever put it in (only by a week or so, though). A few pepper plants & tomatoes will go in a bit later, but I plan on having the bulk of the garden planted by the end of the day Monday (I just happen to be taking that day off of work already 8) )

dtlove129

Flatlander, I may have a little stomach problem come Monday too ;+)
John
2nd year gardner

cubs204

dtlove129 wrote:Flatlander, I may have a little stomach problem come Monday too ;+)
My cousin's bachelor party is Saturday, which means I'm 100% assured to have a stomach problem Monday.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I am going to hold off a bit they say it is going to be down in the low 30s next week and I am not losing all these starts. I can wait till the week after.

Flatlander_MB

Well, busted my hump today and got the garden planted. It was sprinkling off & on as I was digging, but nothing that would have caused me to stop. Then, right as I was driving the posts into the ground for my fencing I started getting hit by these big, fat drops & hightailed it inside right as the sky opened up! So far I've gotten a 1/2" of rain on my freshly planted garden! :D Guess the fence can wait until tomorrow to be put up.

Still waiting a bit to put the peppers in the ground, but it feels good to have the bulk of the planting done (until my fall crops, that is).

Here's the list of what I'm growing this year:

Cucumbers (marketmore 76, Burpee hybrid II, Mexican Sour Gherkins)
Beans (scarlet runner, chinese noodle, purple podded bush, dragon tongue)
Tomatoes (better boy, yellow pear, sungold, grape)
Potatoes (yukon gold)
Sunchokes (in their own, separate space)
Arugula
Buttercrunch lettuce
Radicchio (if I can find the seeds I bought soon)
Baby choy
Asst. Chinese greens

Oh, and about 6000 maple trees! :evil: As much as I like the shade they provide in other parts of my yard, the mature maples have launched their paratrooper seeds already.

ExcitableGardener

This year's weather has been so crazy. I've been itching to plant here in PA since March, but the cold weather just keeps coming back. I can't wait until the cold weather is gone for good.(well until next fall I guess)

dtlove129

Feel your pain on the maple helicopters! Got mine in yesterday and my drip system to those new veggies ran. Also planted a bunch of flowers and fertilized all my mature flowers and the reason last night and today has been nice. Hope we get more tonight and tomorrow and then bring on those 80 and 90 degree forecasted temps this week. This new stuff should be up by this time next weekend!

I didn't plant tom and peppers either because im just starting to garden them off. May wait 2 weeks before putting them out and let them get bigger and stronger with 2 weeks of gardening. I already had mixed leaf lettuce, carrots, yukon and red potatoes, red and white onions, cauliflower, broccoli, first crop of corn in. have finished harvesting asparagus for the year and waiting on my first strawberries from last years planting.

This weekend...2 types of pickling cukes, zuchinni, yellow wax bush bean and pickin and grinnin bush bean, spaghetti and butternut squash and my giant pumpkin lol. I'm going to do 5 types of peppers and brandywine, rutgers and early girl tomatoes. I have never had any of those before. Oh and forgot my egg plant is with my pepperts and tomatoes in the hardening process.

Time to sit back and watch things grow and hoe!
John
2nd year gardner

Flatlander_MB

:lol: I knew I forgot something on my list! Put in zuchini & yellow patty pan squash, too.

I know it's crazy, but I will now resume my daily habit of patrolling the garden to see what pops up. I'm sure it will be a few days before I see anything surface, but I can't seem to keep myself from strolling around looking at dirt!

dtlove129

I hear ya flat. Have to walk it once in the morning before work and again after to see I'd there are any surprises for the day.
John
2nd year gardner

nathan125

i put my peppers and tomatoes in today. it's 65, with lows about 38 in the night. high 70's to mid 80's is the daiy forecast next few days. i figure i can always buy plants. hate to do that though. really blow my profit margin.

Flatlander_MB

dtlove129 wrote:I hear ya flat. Have to walk it once in the morning before work and again after to see I'd there are any surprises for the day.
Garden patrol last evening showed my scarlet runners poking through! :)

I also see a few lettuce seedlings emerging where I planted on Sunday.

With yesterday & today being so warm & sunny, I'm thinking I'll see some more action when I survey tonight. :P

dtlove129

Well I must have went too deep. I haven't seen any of the new things poking up yet, but I'll make another run through this evening before I mow. I love this time of year when there is rain and sun and mild heat because everything comes to life. I just need more hours in the day or a job that ends around 3 or 4 in the afternoon!
John
2nd year gardner

PhillyGardener

This was my first year growing anything from seed. I think I hardened things off too quickly and stunted a few plants, but I figure this early in the season, I can always buy plants if I really messed them up. Hopefully not, though!

We had rain yesterday morning, an overcast afternoon, and predicted lows in the mid-50s overnight, so it seemed like the perfect afternoon to plant--and I did. Then around 5am this morning we got a downpour! I guess I won't need to water again this week. :) I planted:

1 Container Choice tomato
1 Parks Whopper tomato
4 National Pickle cucumbers
2 sweet peppers
3 wax beans (bush)
Round 2 of shallots and scallions
A few herbs

My tomatoes were about 4-5 inches high, so on the small side to transplant. I'll plant another Container Choice and probably a zucchini in big containers soon, and I have plenty more basil and other herbs to move to larger pots. I sowed a bunch of seeds on Sunday and a few more yesterday. Hopefully I'll see some sprouts soon!
Zone 7b - Philadelphia, PA
FacePlant.us - Social Media for Gardeners

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”