jeffmc
Newly Registered

Jade Plant Trauma, need help

Hi guys,

I just came back from an 8 day vacation (my wedding!! woohoo), and when I returned, my very large jade plant became too top-heavy and fell off the table it was perched on. It spent several days laying on top of itself, several large branches broke off, and the remaining portion is all smooshed to one side.

Its not a goner, as its still green and healthy where it didn't break, but I'm not sure how to get it back to being somewhat balanced. Before this, it was nice and almost perfectly even, but now about 90% of the plant is all on one side. When I tried to gently move 2 large branches back to where they were, they snapped, so now I'm scared to touch it.

Any advice on how to repair a large jade plant or other succulent that has gone thru similar trauma is much appreciated. My initial web searches have been fruitless.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would just prune it. Remove the branches that are making it unbalanced so you have a nice looking plant again. Jades root easily, even from just a single leaf, so use the pieces that you remove from your original plant to start new plants. They'll make nice gifts for your friends, or you might even be able to sell them. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

jeffmc
Newly Registered

Yeah, I've already grown about 11 new jades from random cuts and leaves from this one. And my lady has already asked me to stop making new ones...

I was really hoping to salvage as much as I could, because it was an impressive size after growing it for 4 years. If I prune all of the bent branches, it will probably be about 1/5 the size it once was, which would make me sad...

Thanks though.

Theo

If there is some parts that are extremly damaged i would remove them.
If i understood you right, then some of it are "smooshed" to the wrong side. You could, though it would be very slow, push them back gently and slowly. But I'm not 100% sure it would work..
I've had a Jade plant myself, and it has survived everything. I've had it for many years (i think about 18 years, but my current one is made from a branch from the first), and it's almost impossible to kill.
But how bad is the injuries?
I'm total new to the "cacti-world". I just planted my first cacti in March, so i don't know anything yet.

jeffmc
Newly Registered

Basically about 70-80% of all the branches are now facing the same direction due to it laying on top of itself for several days. Unfortunately, I'm leaving today for another 2 weeks, so I've decided to cut my losses (no pun intended) by pruning away the branches that were forced downward. I've left about 20-30% of the branches that were healthy and will try to revive it from there. Unfortunately, it will probably take another 3-4 years to get it back to its previous glory, but oh well.

Thanks again for the input. Cheers!

-Jeff

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

In the future, when you have a plant that's very large and possibly top-heavy, I suggest you put the growing pot inside a larger cache pot. The cache pot should be made of pottery, something heavy. You can even put a layer of rocks in the bottom of the cache pot to prevent the plant from falling over.

That's how I handle such situations. I use heavy cache pots for all my larger plants, whether they actually "look" top heavy or not.

Plants don't usually just topple over by themselves, so if yours was in a position where it was exposed to the wind, you might want to move it to a more protected spot. In a strong gust of wind, the branches of your jade, which are quite brittle, might have broken, even if the pot hadn't fallen over.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”