jinxy
Newly Registered

New Lawn, rotovate or not.

Hi all I'm a new member from the UK and would be grateful for any help and advice.
I have recently bought a house which has a large garden. The previous owners cleared most of it after it had become badly overgrown. I am now left with a large area (620 sq metres) which I've decided to try and seed to give me a blank canvass to work with. There are quite a few weeds starting to grow through and it is uneven in places as well as being a gently sloping.

I have been getting quotes from local gardeners to do the work which up until now has involoved rotovating with various machines, clearing stones etc. However, I have just been advised that the best and easiest way to do it would be to cover the area with 4 to 6 inches of top soil, roller it and sow the seed on that. It sounds good to me so I was just wondering if anyone agrees or disagrees and why? Big concern is that the weeds will just come back up through the top soil too! ?

Thanx in advance for any comments.

Hortman

Hello jinxy. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Forum.
The first thing to do is get rid of the weeds. Your big concern is correct.
The weeds will just come up through the topsoil. So, pull or spray the weeds.
If pulling the weeds, keep the area watered. This will make for easier pulling.
If spraying the weeds, wait until they are dead.
Now you can rotovate the soil. Hard rake it to get the clods out and smooth it out.
Apply your seed and cover with no more than a quarter inch/6mm of soil.
This will one, keep the birds off the seed, and two, help to keep the seed moist
for germination. Remember to not mow the new lawn for 3-4 weeks after germination
so the grass can set its roots. I hope this helps. Good luck and take care.

jinxy
Newly Registered

Hi Ken, yes it helps a lot thanx. We've had 3 different "approaches" to it from various people, the latter being the top soil method. You've helped make my mind up which one to go for Thanx again and thanx to the forum.

Return to “Lawn Care”