Travis
Newly Registered

General

I just was given a bonzai tree from my friend, because he was worried about his health. The bonzai tree that i have has the needles on it instead of the leaves. My first question is, i remember reading this site and it says that you should watter the folliage, do i water the needles?(does that count in terms of foliage?)

My second question in , i live in maine US where the temps always about 45 to 65 degrees. You said that i can keep the tree outside all year round. Is that true where i am?

My third question is, the reason my friend gave this to me is because he noticed a discoloration this the needles. It seemed as though that the needles facing the sun would turn yellow. i thought that it was lack of water and too much sun. before experimenting with such a beautiful plant i seek your diagnosis.

fourthly i wanted to ask you. Being a beginner, what are mostly important in keeping my plant feeling and looking healthy? What direction should i take, in this website. Thank you very much

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Travis,

Foliage is leaves or needles, so yep, water 'em.

Now I've spent a little time in Maine, and have friends at People, Places and Plants Magazine, and I can't imagine the place in Maine that never gets below 45 degrees. You might be coastal ME, so Zone Five like me, in which case the tree will not survive outside with out cover (a little greenhouse made of PVC hoops over rebar, with a layer of poly film over it would work famously, though, and be inexpensive...). A cool porch or garage window would work.

Not knowing what plant you have leaves me a little clueless on the color thing. If it was a Gold Mop cypress then all's well. Could be sun scald but that's unlikely in most needled plants. Probably food and water, so attend to both... (read the bonsai pages on the site for direction there...)

Needled plants need a pinch this time of year to keep their shape, so do that; check the pot to see if it needs repotting (follow those directions on the site). If it got repotted last year or the year before you're o.k.; if longer then it needs it now...

Watering is always the biggy. Learn your trees needs and meet them and you are most of the way there...

My trees look awful right now; so much going on with work I don't have time to meet their needs as I should. DON'T get caught in this trap...

Scott

SuperNuku
Newly Registered

The tree was labled as a Juniper when I bought it, I think.

ALso, the instructions say I can't overwater it because there are holes in the pot's bottom for excess to drain out. But I'm not sure about that either. I bought it a couple months ago, and it came in the pot. I've been considering repotting it, but I'm not sure what size pot to use either.

My bonsai knowlage is somewhat limited. But I really appreciate the help!

SuperNuku
Newly Registered

Sorry.. This post somehow ended up in the wrong thread.. :shock:

I really have no idea how that happened...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

OK... :?

You CAN overwater junipers, despite the propaganda on the tag. Once a day is generally not too much, but keep the water off the foliage later in the day, as juniper twig blight is an all too familiar (fungal) problem...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”