Thanks to some recent very heavy rains, the snail population in my (small) yard has been flushed out of hiding. After yesterday's torrential downpour and the overnight deluge, this morning my gone-to-seed arugula, chicory, and kale plants were bearing odd-looking "fruit."
So, after driving DH to his carpool partner's house, I took advantage of the early morning light and the damp conditions. I got bored after "bagging" 100 snails and went inside.
But later in the morning, while it was still overcast, the dogs wanted to hang out in the freshly washed air. I obliged. 73 more snails.
Just now, I told DH about the 173 excargot (not a typo). He got all inspired and went to get a flashlight. I worked by the light of our driveway motion-detector lights.
Amazingly enough, the kale and chicory plants had been repopulated since this morning. The arugula had only a few strays. However, plants that I couldn't get to this morning and that he did...well, DH found some productive hunting grounds. We used the all-organic "drop the snail on the ground and stomp" method, recycling nutrients into the soil.
Our combined total for the day = 236 excargot, a new personal/household best for this location!
(For relatively new members, our lot is 50' x 100', but most of it is either house or pavement. We have approx. 250 sq. ft of dirt, 96 sq. ft of which are devoted to raised-bed veggie growing. Rose bushes, blackberries, rosemary, jade plant, naked ladies , lavender, and Jerusalem artichokes fill the rest.)
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9