GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

thermostat and heater set up

My 10 month old girls room doesn't have a heater vent in it.
It gets cold in there I'm looking to set up something to kick on when the temop drop to low. I'm looking to spend $50 at the most.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Just how hard would it be to place a vent to that room? At one time, many years ago, I did home and commercial duct work and I hardly ever ran into a situation that you couldn't do something if you wanted to.

If you truly can't get a vent to the room, I would think your only option would be some sort of small electric heater for what you are looking to spend. I'm not a fan of electric heaters, especially in a kids room. I spent over 20 years on the Fire Department and went to many fires caused by those things. That said, they are much safer now than they once were with tip over kill switches and such.

I'd exhaust all options trying to get a proper vent in there first.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Its a add on to a moble home the walls or roofs don't connect for vents. Its raining and and I can't get into the attic there's no way to get up there. The heater will be up high and even my wife has to be on her tippy toes to reach it. I do have a smoke alarm in there.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I don't want to run it all night that's why I just want it to kick on when its cold.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

GardenGnome wrote:Its a add on to a moble home the walls or roofs don't connect for vents. Its raining and and I can't get into the attic there's no way to get up there. The heater will be up high and even my wife has to be on her tippy toes to reach it. I do have a smoke alarm in there.
That helps clarify the situation with the added info. That is a good idea to have the heater up high enough so the little one can't someday reach it or throw something over it while on. Just be careful how you mount it or place it on a shelf. Those electric heaters, even small ones, put out some decent heat.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I try to be safe that's why I want it on as little as it needs to be.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

An oil heaater is a bit safer.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I think I have some the cord gets soft which is kinda freaky.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If the cord is heating up there may be an option to reduce the wattage on it; should be on the switches.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Ill take a look thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I think if you are just talking about for while she sleeps (not for sitting in there playing with toys), all you need is for the bed to be warm. I like electric heated mattress pads, so the heat is under you and you can't accidentally push the blanket off in the night and be cold. No flame, no fumes.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I heard ele. Blankets are bad for kids idk about ele. Pads tho thanks ill look into that's.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”