nghd
Newly Registered

Community and Urban Gardening

Hi everyone,

Just interested to see if there are many Community or Urban Gardeners out there on the Forum. I'm relatively new in my position as coordinator of an Urban Community Garden and would be very interested in getting advice from veterans in either category.

Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you gotten in touch with the [url=https://www.communitygarden.org/]American Community Gardening Association[/url]? Their site is a terrific source of information.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

nghd
Newly Registered

I have. ACGA is a fantastic resource with a wealth of information. Unfortunately a lot of their information isn't free. Rebel Tomato is great though!

nghd
Newly Registered

Marlingardener, have you run into many issues with toxins in the soil? Lead, arsenic etc.

pj4c
Newly Registered

new website

There is a new site starting up: https://www.facebook.com/growunity
Growunity is dedicated to empower and connect local growers to their community, bringing awareness of local produce to your neighborhood. Exchange or trade produce such as fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers with people in your neighborhood or buy from local growers.

Check them out.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My first garden was a community garden, I rented a spot for the season. I learned a lot from the other gardeners.

pow wow

There are a few large vacant city owned plots in my area that I have always thought would make great community gardens. Close to apartment and condo complexes.
Last summer was the first time I visited our Fort Calgary community garden. I have no idea what took me so long. There is no private plots, all produce is donated to local charities and last year that amounted to over 3,000 pounds of produce donated. It's organic and they only grow veggies that would have been available to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police stationed at the fort and the early settlers during the 1880's.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”