rpedenko
Newly Registered

Pride of Madeira

I just purchased a 5 gal. Pride of Madeira and was wondering whether or not I would encounter any problems planting it next to a yellow hibiscus.

webmaster
Site Admin

Anyone?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I just checked to see if Hibiscus trees are allelopathic (secrete chemicals that inhibit other plants) and apparently they are not. Hibiscus trees are resistant to Juglone.

I'll try to do a little more research on the topic though because I know that hackberry (also resistant to juglone) is an allelopath that secretes chemicals that inhibit the growth of grass.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

From a document listing the characteristics of different families of plants. The family in which hibiscus belongs to does not seem to produce any secondary metabolites much less any secondary metabolites that would be lethal to other plants.

Basically, I think it would be fine to plant your plant next to a hibiscus tree. Just give your tree some nice healthy soil to grow in and lots of space for it's roots to grow.

Dig a hole that is twice as deep and twice as wide as the root ball and then fill the whole up to the depth and of the root ball with mulched leaves and manure. Place your tree in the hole and fill the hole with soil and more leaves and manure.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”