Nashvegas
Newly Registered

Can you recommend a plant for a Hedge Line

I have a client who just bought a home in Nashville, TN and the home has about 200 feet of road frontage that he wants to have ‘California Style’ hedge line with a 3 foot wide bed with brown mulch. As far as the hedge, they are looking for something that can grow up to 8 feet tall, can be shaped, grows fast, and does not lose its green in the winter. Would like it to flower in the Spring if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
[removed signature - Site Admin]
For more information see:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Cedar Primadellas are the goto plant for tall hedges around here. But, I would investegate at local nursaries to see what works best in your clients region.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Nashvegas,

It would be helpful to know the sun conditions (full sun, part sun, part shade or shade), the hardiness zone and what a 'California Style' hedgeline is. Also, when you say they want something that can be shaped, do you mean they want to prune it like a formal hedge? That would be alot of work for 200' of hedge but I'm thinking that with a hedge 3' wide they would have to prune it. I do think it's unrealistic to expect to have something that will bloom and yet be pruned in such a fashion.

I'm thinking the hardiness zone would be 6.

Newt

Nashvegas
Newly Registered

We are in zone #6, someone recommended: Mount Vernan Laurals or Elaegnis. What do you guys think?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Prunus laurocerasus ‘Mt. Vernon’ only grows to about 2' to 3' tall and about 3' wide. Here's info on this species with several cultivars listed at the bottom.
https://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/p/prulau/prulau1.html

You might want to hold on to this site to check the recommendations you get.
https://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/index.html

Since you mention such a small shrub, and one that can tolerate full sun to shade, I'm at a loss as to what it is you are looking for.

Newt

Nashvegas
Newly Registered

I had no idea the shrub was so small, I am really really not knowledgable at all. I am looking for a privacy hedge that never loses leaves and can grow to 7 or 8 feet tall. Something in area 6 for growth.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Nashvegas, can you answer my questions from my first post to you so I can better help you? I'd rather not spend lots of time searching for plant material that won't fit your client's needs. Those of us that do this do it on our own time and on our own dime. :)

Newt

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”