ga_2004
Newly Registered

Rose buds falling off

Hi newt

What is wrong with my rose plant?

is this some kind of disease

my rose buds are falling off the stalk just turns as though someone has bit it and the bud discolours to slight yellow to brown and falls off.
https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/ga_2004/?action=view&current=IMG_0611.jpg

Even one of the rose which bloomed was brown and spoiled from inside

Do I need to buy some tonic for this?

Will my rose surviive?

thanks ga

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I couldn't see any signs of disease on the leaves, other than the bud falling off, I couldn't see any signs of a problem. My original thought was that you had a fungal disease.

I'm going to recommend for now that you spray your roses will a 2:1 mixture of milk to water and wait for some more advice. JPIXI is fairly experienced with roses as are some other members.

Good Luck with your problem.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Ga,

I'm thinking it could be from the overwatering that we talked about on your other post. I would suggest you prune the stems that effected. Prune just above an outward facing set of leaves.

Newt

JPIXI

Hello Ga,

Your rose looks fine to me, and there is no obvious sign of diseases.

It is very clear that the bud is cut off but a kind of notorious insect. They love to cut off rose bud. Please look under the leaf and when you can find them take a tray to fetch the insect as they will jump off to escape.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

ga_2004
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help

I did not find any insect now, but obvisouly looks over watering now I have started only once in 2 days and the leaves are not yellowing as before, one rose bud seems fine but though not as big as before.

Let me a keep a watch

Ga.

Zarkiel
Newly Registered

I have the same problem. Over-watering is not the case.
I have three climbing rose plants in the small townhouse yard, and only one of them loses buds: looks like they were snapped off the stems, some of the buds are completely intact, others appear to have been chewed upon. And leaves turn yellow and fall off. But there are no visible insects. The bush still had a lot of flowers - totally healthy looking. But when the blooming was over, end of May, there were almost no leaves left on that bush. Just bare limbs like it were already November...
Now, I am thinking: this bush is sitting quite close to a diseased lilac (powdery mildew). Could it be that it picked up from the lilac? Although the appearance of the rose leaves does not show any mildew, they just become yellow and dry up.
I cut down the lilac, and am thinking of removing it all together because it hasn't been blooming for 3 years - just grows up like mad and turns whitish by the end of May, and no common remedies work with it. But I don't really know if the lilac causes the problem with the rose bush...

ga_2004 wrote:Hi newt

What is wrong with my rose plant?

is this some kind of disease

my rose buds are falling off the stalk just turns as though someone has bit it and the bud discolours to slight yellow to brown and falls off.
https://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/ga_2004/?action=view&current=IMG_0611.jpg

Even one of the rose which bloomed was brown and spoiled from inside

Do I need to buy some tonic for this?

Will my rose surviive?

thanks ga

Return to “Rose Forum”