jefffinan
Newly Registered

Tiny flies

I have had my bonsai for over a year and recently added moss from my yard to the base. I am getting small flies around the tree. What can i do to get rid of them without hurting the tree.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Thanks for asking Jeff.

I use an insecticidal soap on my trees when I bring them inside for the colder months. Then I place 'yellow sticky traps' around the light stand. They catch lots of flies, moths and other critters.

IMO moss should not be placed on the soil of bonsai except temporarily for an exhibit or show, then removed again afterward.

Moss harbors insects, and their eggs. More importantly the moss contributes to root rot by obstruction of air flow and too much moisture retention.

Yes, it looks nice for a show. But it is not worth the risk - long term.
Last edited by TomM on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jefffinan
Newly Registered

Thank you. I will get the moss out of there pronto. It does look good though. It is sitting on a layer of decorative rock and is starting to dry out anyway.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

jefffinan wrote:Thank you. I will get the moss out of there pronto. It does look good though. It is sitting on a layer of decorative rock and is starting to dry out anyway.
I have dressed bonsai with home grown moss for exhibition, but it does not hold up in drier (and lower light) indoors settings.

Let a moss lawn for your pet trees go till spring.

You might just talk me into moss again, if you know of a good lead onna mud-man model lawn mower. :wink:
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

TomM
Greener Thumb

No mud man lawn mowers but I have seen plenty of 'mud man' water buffalo 'grazin' in the grass (longer mosses) and other cool stuff.

This bonsai art can be fun.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”