lhd3
Newly Registered

Take a Look! new 2 compost

Hello, I live in cold NH, I was planning on growing a few veggies indoor this winter under some CFL's. I made a little bin for compost as I know it will take several weeks to get compost going. Heres a picture... anything im doing wrong, I know I still have too much brown to green, but more kitchen scraps coming ! Also should I Insulate these bins somehow for when the temp really drops?

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/67581348@N04/sets/72157628263940225/with/6448341701/]Photos[/url]

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

My compost piles does not do much during the winter. The bug activity in my pile is a lot less during the winter months. I just do mine in pallets because they need air.[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMG_1760.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I was going to suggest that for wooden bins it works a lot better to leave gaps between the boards for air circulation (one reason so many people make them out of pallets, because they are already put together that way). Composting is an aerobic/ oxidizing process, a little bit like a slow motion fire and needs oxygen.

It will take more than a few weeks for finished compost and I don't know anything you can do in New Hampshire to keep an outdoor compost pile working in the winter. It will freeze solid.

You can look into an indoor worm bin for winter composting (type worm composting, vermicomposting, worm bin etc into the Search the Forum keyword box for lots more about how to do that).

You will have lots and lots of great compost for spring planting!

Incidentally, my pile freezes in winter here in southern Ohio, but I do keep adding kitchen scraps and leaves to it all winter. They just freeze too, but then start working again right away when it warms up.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I moved away from NH last year after a long tenancy.

I had compost bins in Barnstead (Parade), Tilton, Laconia, and Henniker.

Build and fill your bins now, you'll take some spring of '12. Your biggest yield won't come till fall of '12.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't be reliant on you compost for this winters grwoing indoors. It probably just won't make it in time. But keep it going for next year for sure. Get some good potting soil maybe buy a little compost from a nursery.

Good luck on you indoor garden. I always have something going through winter. I have quite a few dwarf tomatoes going now.

wsommariva

Yup what was said above. You need ventilation and that cardboard has to go.

Stockpile your leaves in the Fall and steal your neighbors. You can have a very high ratio of leaves to greens. Read posts here about that. And if you mow your own lawn, grass clippings are a great green.

Add your weekly kitchen scraps year round. You will end up with great compost in a year. And keep it moist like a wrung out sponge.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

A bit off topic but is that a diamond plate aluminum truck tool box being used as a compost bin? There's one I've never seen before, and I've seen a lot of compost bins. 8) I'm assuming that thing is somehow damaged or unusable as a tool box, because those things retail at $200 and up.
Tox

Halfway
Green Thumb

A great big pile of leaves in the fall will get completely used by spring if you dump all you kitchen waste throughout the winter. I have run out of leaves before and had to resort to shredded cardboard to keep the ratio decent.

A tarp or an old plastic swimming pool makes a great cover if you can secure it in the wind. I like to throw shovels full of snow under it as it will melt and add moisture all through the winter. Except on the very coldest stretches of course.
Zone 4a.

Return to “Composting Forum”