katherine_57
Newly Registered

Help! My money plant keeps dying!

Hi,

I have some money plants growing in water. I hold them in place with round crystal pearls and started growing them in simply water. Had some leaves turning brown at the edges and I thought it's due to lack of nutrients so I bought this liquid fertiliser from a nursery which they told me it is suitable but my plants did not seem to recover. I further read somewhere that too much fertiliser may kill plants instead so I change the water. The plants were ok for a while but recently the tips of the leaves start turning brown again. Can anyone advise why this is so because I can't seem to find the solution to this phenomenon.

Also I noticed that my money plants tend to have only one leaf per stem. I am not sure if this is because I'm growing them in water and therefore, lesser nutrients for the plant. Does anyone has similar experience growing money plants in water and can share some tips?

Thanks in advance!!

Trevor
Cool Member

Re: Help! My money plant keeps dying!

katherine_57 wrote:Hi,

I have some money plants growing in water. I hold them in place with round crystal pearls and started growing them in simply water. Had some leaves turning brown at the edges and I thought it's due to lack of nutrients so I bought this liquid fertiliser from a nursery which they told me it is suitable but my plants did not seem to recover. I further read somewhere that too much fertiliser may kill plants instead so I change the water. The plants were ok for a while but recently the tips of the leaves start turning brown again. Can anyone advise why this is so because I can't seem to find the solution to this phenomenon.

Also I noticed that my money plants tend to have only one leaf per stem. I am not sure if this is because I'm growing them in water and therefore, lesser nutrients for the plant. Does anyone has similar experience growing money plants in water and can share some tips?

Thanks in advance!!
Do you use tap water or well water?
If it's tap water, it probably has chlorine in it, which most plants don't like. I know with "Lucky Bamboo" plants I've had in the past, with my tap water (which has some chlorine in it, like most) the edges of the leaves would brown. So, I began to leave the water out for min. 24 hrs, if it needed water. I would suggest doing this.

A lot of people do grow these plants in water, but can also be potted in rich soil. There are several different plants that take the name "money plant". I'd do further research to determine what type you have-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_plant
I'm assuming you have this- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum

-Trevor

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”