lisingreece
Newly Registered

propergation of swiss chard

Hi everyone,
I need to know if I can cut off the side shoots on my only surviving swiss chard plant to grow new plants.
Have no seeds, and have only 5 months here before moving on.
thanks
Lis
Lis

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I plantd my side shoots in my greenhouse in some nice soil and watered often and they did grow! The plant will stay green for a week or two then start rooting but keep it watered! Also keep it out of the direct sun in a shaded area till it roots!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

lisingreece
Newly Registered

propergation of swiss chard

thats just what i hoped I'd hear Bobberman. Will give it a go.
Thanks for replying
Lis

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have not tried what bobberman said but I believe it. Chard is one of the few things still kicking butt in my garden. Last year I can swear I had volunteers of chard before I worked it all in,

Chard keep going and going. I have a few things I am going to leave till they die. Testing their ability to combat extreme cold.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have a few chard plants in a big metal od type laundry bucket I started 3 years ago. They went to seed and I cut the tops and have many side shoots that are producing half size leaves like 10 to a cluster. Two plants in the tub.I give most to the rabbit! I keep the plants inside the greenhouse even in the summer and they are very healthy! The bright light seed collections of reds yellows and oranges are very nice to grow and brighten up a garden!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”