Green Thumb Wanna Be
Newly Registered

Madagascar Palm Cactus replant

I would like to know when to repot a Madagascar Palm cactus and when do they bloom?

My 9 year old cactus is 2 1/2 feet tall including the leaves and is planted in a 22" diam x 11" pot. It is housed inside during the winter months and moved outdoors after the last frost. It thrives during Summer and sleeps (no new leaves and no loss of leaves) all winter in the house. It has been in the same pot for several years and I am wondering if I should repot it and when? (Now or spring?) Thanks for any information about Madagascar Palm Cactus.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eye off the goal."
--------Henry Ford

BostonianChick

Hey Green Thumb Wanna Be!

You can re-pot your Madagascar Palm Cactus whenever you want! They should be re-potted every 3-4 years. Just because if they arnt they could become root bound which can end up killing the cactus.

When you have it in the house try to keep it in the area that gets the most sunlight all day. These plants are native to warm sunny places so it will be happy in alot of sun. Also you don't need to water it as much as a regular plant they are used to drought tollerant conditions. So even if you forget to water if for awhile it should be fine. i hope this helped!
I am a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet.

Green Thumb Wanna Be
Newly Registered

Madagascar Palm Cactus

BostonianChick

Many thanks for the advice. This year I moved to a differenct town and my cactus will not get the sun it got in it's previous setting. I will have to put it in a North window. I do hope it survives. In Madagascar they are trees. I don't know what I will do if it grows up to the ceiling.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eye off the goal."
--------Henry Ford

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”