maddy1
Newly Registered

My Broccoli Transplants Are Gone!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to gardening, started my first one this summer. I am in Zone 5 (Chicago). I transplanted broccoli about 2 weeks ago and they were coming along so nicely. I went out today to check on them and they are all gone! Is it too late for me to sow by seed and what can I do to protect them? I have a mesh fence around the garden so not sure what happened. Thanks.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

There are a number of obvious solutions to what happened to them. Large birds like crows can sometimes pull them out. Also Slugs can eat them right down to the ground. If it is slugs you would have to put out slug bait of one sort or the other. There are some other things that can chew them off at the base, but then you usually find the dried up plant.
Best guess slugs or snails.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My guess, Crows.

I think it may be too late to start from seed.

CreateYourGoodLife
Newly Registered

I'd be thinking slugs and snails too. Instead of pellets you could try beer traps, but the best thing I have found is to get out there with a torch and squash them at night. For a few days you might need to do it nightly, but after that every week or so seems to be enough in my garden.

applestar
Mod

That is so disappointing! So sorry to hear.
Although it may be too late for broccoli, you could try other seeds like spinach, turnip, radish, leaf lettuce and Asian greens and mustard greens.

soil
Greener Thumb

just know from now on, if there is one plant in your garden everything will want. its broccoli.

maddy1
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone for the replies. I hope its not too late but last night I did replant some seeds directly in ground. I had seen that somewhere else either on this forum or another that it might not be too late. What I also did was take a tin can and placed it around each seed so hopefully it will have a chance to grow a little more with protection. It could be crows but I don't remember seeing any around here. Maybe I could get a scarecrow and put it out there. Also I don't think I have ever seen any snails or slugs in years. Now my green bean plants are growing beautifully! Nothing is bothering them at all.

applestar
Mod

Let's hope for a late frost. :D

Remember you can extend your growing season a bit, especially in case of lower growing crops, by directly covering with floating covers in single and double layers, as well as using hoops and plastic/poly sheeting for even more protection when the frost arrives. :wink:

p.s. Slugs come out at night....

maddy1
Newly Registered

Moles! I went out today and the can I had put around one of the last broccoli transplants was knocked over and there are holes now throughout the garden. I had some deer urine spray and sprayed around the the garden. Is this enough or is there another non-toxic deterrent for moles?

soil
Greener Thumb

moles eat insects, voles and gophers eat plants. don't hate on the mole.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

soil wrote:just know from now on, if there is one plant in your garden everything will want. its broccoli.
I sure found out the slugs love 'em this year. Also, to my surprise, they love onion greens. Ate all my walla wallas.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”