Lycee
Newly Registered

New Juniper Bonsai owner

I just recieved a Juniper Bonsai tree from my cousin, it's around 4 years old, and it's starting to turn brown and is shedding. The tree is very dry and brittle and I need help to bring it back. It's in a rectanglular pot and I don't know what kind of soil is in it but it does have rocks mixed in with it. What should I do :?:

Gnome
Mod

Lycee,

Unfortunately by the time a Juniper looks like this it is quite possibly already dead. These trees are often mishandled by the retailer, sold in inferior potting medium and provided with incomplete or incorrect information. You don't mention how you have been managing it, location, watering practices, Etc. Please use the search function to review what has been posted regarding Junipers already.

Norm

Lycee
Newly Registered

Thank you for your post Gnome. I submerged the pot in water thismorning for about 20 minutes, and it's setting on the counter out of direct sunlight. I only got it yesterday and I'm not sure about putting it outside. I reviewed the watering and pruning sections and they gave me some information.

Gnome
Mod

Lycee,
I submerged the pot in water thismorning for about 20 minutes, and it's setting on the counter out of direct sunlight.
Please don't submerge it again, especially not for twenty minutes. If I had to guess if it is over or under watered, my money would be on over watered. let the water it already has carry it for a while. A healthy Juniper needs good light, actually as you now know, it belongs outside. But since it is the middle of winter and it has not been outside up to now I really don't know what to tell you. Not really your fault but selling these tree to unknowing people in the dead of winter is really a horrible practice that surely results in thousands of dead trees every Christmas.

Norm

Lycee
Newly Registered

It gets about 40 degrees outside during the day; could I put it in a sunny place outside during the day or would that shock it even more? I will let the water hat's in it set for a few days before I water it again. My cousin how had it got it the same way I did and also had no idea what she was doing. Thank you for your help!

Gnome
Mod

Lycee,

Junipers are hardy plants so 40's would not be a problem. I would keep if from freezing however, simply because it has not had a chance to become acclimated to cold weather. Be aware that, despite your best efforts, this tree may not survive.

Norm

Lycee
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help norm and I'll keep that in mind!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”