jjv3131
Newly Registered

Questions regarding Jolokia Pepper Plant

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to the world of gardening. I have a couple of doubts and questions regarding a plant I bought online 2 months ago, which is the Jolokia Pepper Plant (ghost pepper).

When I first received my plant I moved it to a bigger pot, at first it was 4-5 inches tall, now the plant is 12-13 inches tall. I haven't seen it grow lately so my question is, should I move the plant to a bigger pot?

Another question would be, Can peppers grow even if the plant is in a pot and not on the ground?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

This is my plant: [img]https://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p114/jiortiz2/35.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It is my understanding that this particular pepper plant doesn't grow all that vigorously. Give it time and maybe google Bhut Jolokia, or Ghost Pepper plants to see what to expect.

I love hot peppers, but this one is ridiculous in the heat it produces and I've read it is best to use gloves even fooling with the plant to avoid potential discomfort.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Certainly pepper plants can produce fruit, grown in containers. Your container does look a bit small to me. Remember your plant should get to be 4' tall and almost that wide, but it's going to need more soil to do that.

You don't need gloves to handle the plant, just the peppers, once it produces them.

This is growing indoors? It will need a lot of light, heat, and humidity. For it to produce peppers, you probably need some kind of supplemental lighting, not just the window. It needs temps to stay above 70 (preferably above 75) and it will benefit from a humidity tray and misting.

But your plant is looking happy and healthy so far! They are very slow growing/ maturing plants.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Without supplemental lights (or direct sun for multiple hours a day) they can be hard to get pods on inside. They are typically slow growers too.

jjv3131
Newly Registered

Thank you for all the help. I used to have the plant outside but I live in south Texas and in the afternoons when the heat was at it's peak the plant would be really gloomy and sad. So I took it inside. I do take it outside once in a while.

I had been thinking of moving it to a bigger pot and change the soil because it used to have Gnat Flies, I got rid of them now but would be best to change it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”