Bondari
Newly Registered

Something is killing my pea plants

Hi, I'm new at gardening and have run into the same problem with pea plants 2 years in a row. When my plants got about 1.5 feet high I would soon find the stem snipped clean at the base just above the ground. No other damage is visible, nothing else nibbled on just the stem cut.

Last year I checked for grubs but didn't find any. This year I put a netting around the plants in case large birds were the culprit and also put in a sonic rodent device but it still happened. Why would something do that and leave the rest of the plant untouched? Any ideas?

Perhaps next year I will put some sort of protective guard around the base of stem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most likely cutworms. You are right about the collar. But what you want is a stiff collar, like cardboard or tinfoil, that you put just outside the stem but not touching it. That keeps the cutworms away from your plants.

I don't know where you are, but isn't it a little bit hot yet, most northern hemisphere places for peas? Maybe you are one of our Australian members, just coming in to spring?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”