bell7283

Broken Cucumber Vine

I believe the wind bent and cracked my cucumber vine about 4 days ago and since all the leaves above the crack have wilted but not died. The plant is stalked up and is about 5.5 feet tall. The vine cracked about 3.5 or 4 feet up the plant, should I cut the plant at the crack to promote new vine growth or should I just let it be? I don't want to waste to much time waiting if cutting the top off the plant will speed things up. Help please!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would just let it go. It may heal. If it doesn't, it will send out some new growth. You can clip it if the leaves turn brown.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

bell7283

Thank You!!!!

Fig3825

I broke one of mine as well. It was a rigid vine, so it snapped off clean about 4' up the trellis from the soil. The node below has since produced a new vine that is quickly growing up in place of the one I broke.

They WANT to survive!

bell7283

I feel much better now. I was scared that I might lose the plant for the year, im glad to hear it has a chance.

bell7283

Fig, about how long did it take to grow the new vine?

Fig3825

My cukes are growing like mad and I have 9 plants on a 4' wide trellis. A couple have offshoots (new vines). It doesn't take long. I think a lot depends on how established the plant is now (on your end). Mine was 4' tall and I broke the 4" off at the tip on the longest vine trying to stuff it back on the side of the trellis I want them to stay on. This was about 4 days ago. The node from whence the vine came is about 4" below where I broke it and the new vine is past the break point.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”