simegas
Newly Registered

Yellow Bell Peppers

Hi I'm a newbie...I have a Bell pepper plant that has started fruiting yellow peppers straight away is this normal or diseased? ..I was led to believe that the start out Green after flowering..Help please

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My yellow peppers are a white yellow at the very beginning! They are about half grown now in july in Pa.! I planted a pepper mix of seeds this year so I don't know what they all are yet!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

There is a very large variety of peppers. Yes, some start out yellow.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

simegas
Newly Registered

yellow bell peppers

Thank you for your replies !! :D ...My peppers are an almost transparent/pale yellow, and have purple patches to them :? also there is only one that is shaped like your typical bell pepper the others are elongated ... another bell pepper plant I have is green and they are perfect in colour and shape :D

Kitter
Newly Registered

I'm pleased to find this. I'm having the same issue. My peppers are also very pale yellow and quite elongated. They were mislabeled at the nursery when I bought the plants, and I thought I bought red peppers. Surprise! :o I have other pepper plants that are growing green, which is what I expected. I was a little worried, but this has eased my mind. :) I have yet to try one... will do so soon :D

simegas
Newly Registered

@ Kitter, Haha let me know how they taste you seem to have Identical peppers :o

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

One thing I am learning with gardening, do not expect to grow exactly what you may find in the store.
Store produced is so controlled and mass grown and picked through before shipping that everything is pretty uniform all the odd colored, or shaped produce gets picked out. In our gardens however we get to see exactly what mother nature has the ability to do to our fruits and veggies. I grew bell peppers last year and they turned out tiny! Then a huge worm critter thing ate them all in one night. (1 plant 3 peppers) all gone over night.
My jalapenos turned black this year :shock: but boy are they spicy and yummy!!! Not something I think I would find at the store though.
Gardening can bring such fun and weird surprises our way!
Because all things need to be cherished
USDA zone 8A (guess it changed... not sure why I was a 9!)

Kitter
Newly Registered

@ cherishedtiger- The odd thing is, they are grown at a local nursery, with no shipping involved. I really was surprised, but kind of excited to see how they turn out. :D

@ simegas- I will definitely keep you posted. :D

Moley
Cool Member

My Corno di Toro peppers start out White/Yellow and mature to nice red.

They are sweet elongated Italian frying peppers.

Kitter
Newly Registered

So, I've now tried the peppers, and I don't find any real difference between them and any other yellow pepper that I'm used to. They taste great! Just look odd, that's all :) YAY!!! :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I pickd three nice light yellow peppers on one plant tonight. They were about a 1/3 pound each!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've grown lilac peppers and these start out purple. I was surprised when I saw them at first; they were only 2 in. long and purple as could be.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

simegas
Newly Registered

@ Kitter, Yay, glad they were okay, thanks for the update :-)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”