gardenvt
Green Thumb

Small yellow/orange potato leaf tomato

I planted stupice and it has yellow orange tomatoes istead of the brilliant red I expected. I thought the first fruit was a fluke but here come more of the same color.

Anyone have any idea what this tomato might be?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

There are about 17 tomato varieties that I am aware of that you could be discribing. If you bought the plant at the garden center, someone may have moved the tags. That has happened often to many of the gardeners that I know. That is why I start my own plants. If you started it from seed again, tomato seeds look well like tomato seeds and they are easy to comfuse, so occationally that is what happens in the packaging process. This year I started three varieties of leeks from seed and one of them turned out to be candy apple red onions (seed looks identical- same family). Surprises happen unfortunately. If you bought it at a garden center you might take one in, they may know what it is, if they only got one type of yellow-orange tomato in.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I start all of my tomatoes from seed and I don't have any seed for small orange tomato on a potato leaf plant. These were supposed to be stupice and the plant is quite tall and loaded with small (1-2 ounce) orange tomatoes.

I started 3 potato leaf plants this year - bloody butcher, brandywine (sudduth) and what was supposed to be stupice.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Could it be Galina?
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

gardenvt
Green Thumb

galina is a regular leaf plant. This one is a potato leaf and the tomato is 1-2 oz.

Just to make things more interesting, we have a Principe Borghese plant that has tomatoes that look like a mini bell pepper.

Of course, both plants are odd seeds and came from the same seed company. I plan to grow again next year with fresh seed from another company.

kjacobs
Newly Registered

orange stupice

I bought stupice seeds and have the same results. Bought from a large online supplier. They are the right size, potato leafed, and grow in clusters, but a very nice orange color instead of red. Very tasty too. And prolific, just not sure what they really are. Was googling orange stupice when I saw this post , so I joined to answer. Good gardening,

ken

Edit: I just figured it out. I planted Flamme, and these are possibly what I am seeing, and the description fits perfectly. Not sure where my stupice are, or possibly the supplier substituted flamme when out of stupice, I sure have a lot of the flamme's.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I think this is what I have - not Stupice but Flamme. I mentioned in another post that these taste a lot like Sungold. I roasted a bunch of them up this morning and made sauce with it. It is so rich and delicious.

And the plants are the most prolific in my garden.

I plan to grow them again next year!!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Now you have me confused, GardenVt!

Tatiana's Tomatobase has Flamme as a regular leaf tomato [url=https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Flamme](click).[/url]

And, Galina as a potato leaf [url=https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Galina%27s_Yellow](click).[/url]

I have grown Flamme. Early and smaller plants . . . The flavor is very good, a little seedy and the skin was a little tough but, all-in-all, a very worthwhile tomato in my garden :) . Regular leaf.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

gardenvt
Green Thumb

digit, I have seen Galina described as being potato leaf and regular leaf. What doesn't match up is the size of the tomato. Galina is described as a 1" cherry tomato and these are much larger than that. Having looked at them again, they are 3 lobed and turn a tangerine color like Sungold. They are about 1 1/2 ounces and taste a lot like Sungold.

Jaunne Flamme is a regular leaf plant. So, definitely not that

Whatever this little tomato is, it is very tasty and will be in my garden for as long as I have seeds.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”